Punk is dead

1. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    What do you think?
  2. thejambo1
    thejambo1
    still going great guns,plenty of new bands and gigs. plenty of zines still going as well.
  3. cop an Attitude
    cop an Attitude
    I personally think that a band that truly has their heart in the punk movment is punk, no matter what era it is. there are a lot of basterdized bands (ie. warp tour) but it is smaller now than in the 80s. I would like to think its making a comeback.
  4. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    I say that while there are still good punk bands around, the scene lost it's steam.
    What just happens to all sorts of music eventually.
    Look at blues, jazz, rock, hip-hop and house, they have come, hit their peak and lost steam.
    New music forms come and do the same, so if you dont like the music of today, please do something new and dont be another revivalist band.

Dead? maybe it maybe it isnt but good new punk can still be a good new listen.
    And I think that sites like soundclick and it's ilk are great for that.
  5. victim77
    victim77
    Personally I like the scene where it is now. Because of the "small" size its more like a community. I like going to/playing shows with about 80 - 100 people in a small venue where I can really get to know the people around me. If you judge it on the amount of fans/bands then yes punk is dead, but if you judge it on the dedication and comradeship of the fans/bands then punk is alive and striving!
  6. Sickle of Justice
    Sickle of Justice
    haha... 80-100? my fav shows rarely go over 40 people. of course, that's the super underground acoustic hippy/crust punk activist benifits, the overall scene is much larger.

but dead? i dunno. i think the terms are too ill defined. what is "punk"? the musical style? the fashion? lifestyle? community/movement?

and what is dead? the original musical style and fashion have long since ceased to serve a revolutionary purpose, with safety pins and cavorting johnny rotten giving way too smelly patchy fuckers playing acoustic guitars and screaming. it's different. maybe punk is dead and reincarnated?
  7. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    Real punks dont make punk anymore.
  8. STJ
    STJ
    At least we always have Green Day. hahahahaha
  9. Cherocks34
    Cherocks34
    No but punk is indeed quite crippled,hot topic continues to imitate it and most ''punks' are nothing but clothse hangers.However there still are a few true punks
  10. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    As long as we still have the music and the attitude, punk won't die.
  11. Riot11
    Riot11
    Punk has been imbued into almost every genre that has come after it. Not to mention that there is a punk sub-genre most musical genres.
  12. MilitantAnarchist
    Yes thats right punk is dead, its just another cheap product for the consumers head....
    Punk will never die, aslong as the boring trendy bastards that walk our streets think its dead, and the system thinks its killed it... leave us to enjoy punk how it was ment to be
  13. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    How was it meant to be?
  14. Palmares
    Palmares
    Punk is just another form of expression, a (sub-)culture. It perhaps originally had some meaning relating to reacting, rebelling, etc, but it has been commodified, recuperated.
  15. welshboy
    welshboy
    Punk's not dead,
    It just smells that way.
    -Welshboy 2001
  16. Bandito
    Bandito
    Punk's not dead,
    It just smells that way.
    -Welshboy 2001
    It was Billy Idol who said that, welshboy.
    Taking credit...
  17. BlackHeart
    BlackHeart
    PUNKS NOT DEAD!!! - The Exploited
  18. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    The Exploited only has a few good songs though.
  19. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Sex and Violence, and pretty much nothing else.
  20. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    Good song, I just have a trouble remembering the lyrics sometimes.
  21. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Yeah, great lyricism in that song. If punk's dead, what am I?
  22. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Yeah, great lyricism in that song. If punk's dead, what am I?
  23. The Ben G
    The Ben G
    Punk is sleeping. Green day gave real punk chloroform.
  24. The Ben G
    The Ben G
    Punk is sleeping. Green day gave real punk chloroform.
  25. The Red Next Door
    never dead
  26. Canadian Red
    Canadian Red
    Lmao I love The Exploited...
  27. Jacobinist
    If punk rock is being sold at the local Mall (it is), and if it's on Mtv (it is) its pretty much a fad.

Fad = dead.
  28. Unkut
    Unkut
    still going great guns,plenty of new bands and gigs. plenty of zines still going as well.
    Who are these new punk bands that you think are good? I can never find anything new I like
  29. homegrown terror
    punk is dead, but that never stopped a zombie from creating a little chaos.
  30. newdayrising
    newdayrising
    The idea that genres are "dead" is a reflection of capitalism and the entertainment industry always trying to sell new products. If somebody's doing it and other people are taking something out of it, it's obviously not dead.