Proto-punk

1. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    What band that predates the punk do you like or do you think arent mentioned enough?, or maybe mentioned too much?

Babble on!
  2. Incendiarism
    Incendiarism
    I feel it is my obligation to say The Velvet Underground. I think the new york dolls were good too and don't get nearly as much mention as other prominent proto-punk bands.

Also, I don't believe Richard Hell is too well-known, but he and the voidoids were good.
  3. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    I agree with you.

I also feel that the whole glam rock scene as an influence on punk doesnt get mentoined enough.
    Slade was very punk if you look at it.

Also the Electric Eels or The Deviants arent mentioned enough.
  4. thejambo1
    thejambo1
    stooges,mc5, new york dolls and of course the velvet underground.
  5. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    I feel that the Saints aren't mentioned enough as a proto-punk band given that their 1974 demos were musically closer to 'punk' than anything else at the time or before. Then again, no one outside of Brisbane heard those demos until they got re-released more than 20 years later, so you can't say they had any influence on the New York and London punk scenes. Still, they were ahead of their time and never got the credit they deserved. Instead, they joined the army of 'also-rans' when punk finally broke in London even though they were vastly superior to most major league UK punk bands.

Mentioned too much:

MC5. Great band in their own right, but the musical connection to punk has never been that clear to me. The revolutionary slogans they were peddling in their early days weren't a million miles away from what bands such as The Jefferson Airplane had on offer lyrically, so the MC5 were actually very much in tune with the time (Anti-Vietnam movement and such) rather than ahead of it or 'punk'.
  6. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    I also think certain early heavy metal bands like Blue Öyster Cult, Blue Cheer and Thin Lizzy did atleast have slight influence on punk.
  7. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    Eddie Cochran provided all the rhythms/grooves, Chuck Berry provided all the lead guitar licks. Not like they're never mentioned, but probably not enough in connection with punk.

Military marching music and lager louts singing in pubs are not mentioned enough as influences on UK82 and Oi.
  8. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Eddie Cochran provided all the rhythms/grooves, Chuck Berry provided all the lead guitar licks. Not like they're never mentioned, but probably not enough in connection with punk.

Military marching music and lager louts singing in pubs are not mentioned enough as influences on UK82 and Oi.
    Yeah, pub and football chants had a huge influence on Oi! I also love Chuck Berry and take a lot of influence from him as a guitarist. My favorite proto-punk band would probably be the New York Dolls.
  9. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    I also love Chuck Berry and take a lot of influence from him as a guitarist. My favorite proto-punk band would probably be the New York Dolls.
    Friend request coming your way.
  10. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Friend request coming your way.
    Ha, sounds good. I was inactive when they started the whole friend request thing here, what does it enable you to do once you're friends with someone?
  11. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    Nothing much really. It's just a bonding ritual.
  12. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Cool, sounds good to me.
  13. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    Speaking of Chuck Berry, how many of you have heard the awesome/horrible version of Johnny B. Goode done by the Sex Pistols?
  14. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    lol, yeah during the song Rotten just calls it awful and says everyone is shit.
  15. communard resolution
    communard resolution
    I love that Johnny B Goode version. I've burned a CD with some of the outtakes/demos/rehearsals from Great Rock'n'Roll Swindle, plus I added some Sid and Jones/Cook stuff, some Pistols b-sides, and some stuff from Bollocks. I really prefer my homemade CD to the Never Mind The Bollocks album. This is the running order:

Johnny B. Goode
    Roadrunner
    Substitute
    Stepping Stone
    Don't Give Me No Lip Child
    Belsen Was A Gas
    I Wanna Be Me
    Satellite
    Holidays In The Sun
    Bodies
    Problems
    Anarchy (demo)
    No Fun
    Something Else
    C'mon Everybody
    Silly Thing
    Lonely Boy
    My Way
  16. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    lol, yeah during the song Rotten just calls it awful and says everyone is shit.
    Ha, he knows part of the first two lines of the song and that's it.
  17. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    Did You No Wrong is also a good song. It was a b-side on the God Save The Queen single.
    + YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
  18. Fawkes
    Fawkes
  19. Pirate Utopian
    Pirate Utopian
    I listened to a few songs, great band.
  20. Mala Tha Testa
    Mala Tha Testa
    What about Death?
  21. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    That's who the link in my last post was for.
  22. Mala Tha Testa
    Mala Tha Testa
    That's who the link in my last post was for.
    Shiiit, my bad.