what martial art do you study?

1. Dr Mindbender
    what martial art or self defence school do you study?
  2. RaiseYourVoice
    RaiseYourVoice
    voted other, I learn krav maga. I didn some years of karate though
  3. Dr Mindbender
    voted other, I learn krav maga. I didn some years of karate though
    looks interesting here it is for the benefit of people like me who've not encountered it.

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
  4. RaiseYourVoice
    RaiseYourVoice
    Yea that video showes pretty much all techniques, though it of course looks too easy and isnt comparable to real life situations. A lots of KM is about handeling yourself in real life.... as in learn to judge situations, de-escalate, run away.
  5. politics student
    politics student
    None atm looking for which would be most use full for self defense.
  6. Sasha
    Sasha
    intensive muay thai (but with a short break at the moment due to school/injuries), used to do judo when i was a kid and want to start with MMA/Shooto.
  7. Tower of Bebel
    Tower of Bebel
    I used to do some Tae Kwon Do but my teacher stopped teaching. I think of learning Karate this year.
  8. Malakangga
    Malakangga
    i learn PENCAK SILAT. Does anybody knows about it?
    But i was learn karate and ju jitsu before i learn pencak silat
  9. Y Chwyldro Comiwnyddol Cymraeg
    Y Chwyldro Comiwnyddol Cymraeg
    Muay Thai, good for selft defence and fitness!
  10. Comrade B
    Comrade B
    Classical Okinawan Karatedo
    Just got my brown belt, taking a break for the summer though (work).
    It's pretty fun, keeps me in decent shape
  11. StrictlyRuddie
    StrictlyRuddie
    I did Tae Kwondo until my black belt, And I studied some Krav Maga until I had to quit.
  12. Fawkes
    Fawkes
    I did Krav Maga for a while, kind of lame though. I boxed and wrestled for a while, which are far more useful than Krav Maga for an actual fight. I practice by far the most useful self-defense technique every day, which is being with people that aren't pussies and you know will have your back no matter what.
  13. Hawk_
    Hawk_
    I practice boxing. I also wrestle for my school.
  14. disobey
    disobey
    None of the above. Currently I only practice my lounging (usually this is aided by a cold beer) since I got a bad back from dodging bullets in slow motion.
  15. Dr Mindbender
    None of the above. Currently I only practice my lounging (usually this is aided by a cold beer) since I got a bad back from dodging bullets in slow motion.
    no time like the present to start learning!
  16. optimist
    optimist
    i practiced wing chun/tsun for a long time ,and for the last year i also exercise in kravmaga.i think there are similarities between those two ,mainly in the strategy of offensive counterattacking.
  17. Saorsa
    Saorsa
    Just started Shao Chi Chuan Kung Fu the other week, I've been to two lessons so far. Kinda showed how unfit I've become since I stopped playing soccer last year! Most of the others are touching their toes and shit, and my fingers are struggling to get halfway down my shins! I intend to keep at it for many years though, and hopefully I'll become reasonably halfway decent at it.
  18. al8
    I've studied shotokan karate, taekwondo and ju jutsu. I am non-practacing at the moment but hope to start training at an MMA gym if I start again. I once took a few classes with a scam kung-fu teacher that keept confusing chinese and japanese and constantly trying to bleed one of ones money.
  19. Dr Mindbender
    I've studied shotokan karate, taekwondo and ju jutsu. I am non-practacing at the moment but hope to start training at an MMA gym if I start again. I once took a few classes with a scam kung-fu teacher that keept confusing chinese and japanese and constantly trying to bleed one of ones money.
    yep, you need to look out for them, they're whats known in the industry as 'Mc Dojo's'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDojo
  20. al8
    On some levels the experience was hilarious. The teacher was very lazy and left the students to develope their "own styles" based on some animal through the sparring with a partner. So their I stood with a room filled with scrony guys pretending to be mantice and panda, having a go at each other. And I though to myself; Have I stepped into a sub-culture or what?
  21. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    I intend to start Krav Maga lessons soon.
  22. Dr Mindbender
    On some levels the experience was hilarious. The teacher was very lazy and left the students to develope their "own styles" based on some animal through the sparring with a partner. So their I stood with a room filled with scrony guys pretending to be mantice and panda, having a go at each other. And I though to myself; Have I stepped into a sub-culture or what?
    this has inspired me.

I may start a 'name and shame' thread of mc dojo's to watch out for. People can update it if they encounter any scammers.
  23. optimist
    optimist
    i learn PENCAK SILAT. Does anybody knows about it?
    But i was learn karate and ju jitsu before i learn pencak silat
    some months ago, in a fillipino kali seminar,teacher show us some technics of silat to exercise.it was all elbows,having the whole body behind.avoid or block and hit at the same time,only elbows.it was something new to me,interesting but you have to be very very quick and welltrained to adjust this kind of technics in streetfight.
  24. redarmyfaction38
    redarmyfaction38
    wado ryu (the way of peace and harmony) karate, studied for 13 years, 8 of them as an instructor.
    very traditional, duty and obligation being as much part of the instruction as ability.
  25. Wake Up
    Wake Up
    Jujitsu for me, being training for around a year.
    Great for streetbrawls, especially against 'ThugA' types.

My aim is to also start Parcour as I reckon a mastery of that and Jujitsu would be a great combination.
  26. Dr Mindbender
    Jujitsu for me, being training for around a year.
    Great for streetbrawls, especially against 'ThugA' types.

My aim is to also start Parcour as I reckon a mastery of that and Jujitsu would be a great combination.

IMO nin jutsu gives you the best of both worlds.
  27. progressive_lefty
    progressive_lefty
    I wanted to start Krav Maga, but was advised Boxing would be much better.
  28. Wake Up
    Wake Up
    IMO nin jutsu gives you the best of both worlds.
    If you want to end up in jail...

Ninjitsu's lethal combat stuff isn't it?

Has great stuff to teach on stealth and the like, but Jujitsu also covers basic melee weapons training.
  29. Dr Mindbender
    If you want to end up in jail...

Ninjitsu's lethal combat stuff isn't it?
    yes, but the feeling of life and death it gives you is very empowering.

Besides we do a lot of non lethal stuff, and the ukemi and armed training we do is invaluable.

BTW according to my instructor, the 'stealthy ninja' is an exaggerated urban myth. It occured because of their ancient practice of throwing dust into their opponents faces which created the facade of 'invisibility'. This was perpetuated by american entrepreuners, culminating of course in the short lived craze of the 80's.
  30. rednordman
    rednordman
    I train mainly in Muay Thai and Boran. I used to be a member of a club but the instructor decide to totally revise the pay sceam, so now i cannot really afford it, and have to make do with training at home (sad, but better than not training at all) and learning what i can in books/dvd/internet. Sounds strange but it is interesting what one can learn via simply reading books, still doesnt beat training at a club though. Its a shame the whole martial arts and leisure industries seem to be selling out at a rapid rate, but thats capitalism for you.