what martial art do you study?

1. Pirate turtle the 11th
    Pirate turtle the 11th
    Im gonna start kickboxing on tuesday i managed to get into the adult classes with a mate so chances are its gonna hurt. But ya gonna toughen up alot better like that.
  2. Dr Mindbender
    Im gonna start kickboxing on tuesday i managed to get into the adult classes with a mate so chances are its gonna hurt. But ya gonna toughen up alot better like that.
    good luck with that dude, it may not be Krav Maga but it's better than nothing.
  3. Pirate turtle the 11th
    Pirate turtle the 11th
    Yeah il go until i get a chance to go to a krav maga class as for now there all around an hour and a halfs journey both ways. And i dont have the time for that.
  4. jaffe
    jaffe
    I used to do Judo when I was a little kid. Now I started practising kickboxing.
  5. Djehuti
    Djehuti
    I train kickboxing with lowkicks, we also train some knees, elbows, clinch etc.

When we have time, I and other radical leftists from various groups train together. W can train boxing one day, submissive wrestling another day and escrima yet another day. Unfortunatly we can't train like this very often (we did it quite a lot this summer though).

I also do cross-fit training and weight lifting (push-press etc) to increase my strenght, control and intensity (tabata-intervals) .
  6. Hawk_
    Hawk_
    I have just started Hapkido
  7. Pirate turtle the 11th
    Pirate turtle the 11th
    Kickboxing was great the whole thing is run by taxi drivers in the party area of an inside childrens playground.
  8. Black Sheep
    I ve done some karate, but i mostly destroy my enemies by utilizing mental waves.
  9. jaffe
    jaffe
    I i mostly destroy my enemies by utilizing mental waves.
    that shit works great for me.
  10. YourMuDoIsWeak
    YourMuDoIsWeak
    I earned a black belt in TKD, but know i do Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. remember if your school does not train you against fully resisting opponents and under moderate physichal contact you ARE not prepared for a street confrontation. Kata does not = fighting ability.
  11. Dr Mindbender
    I earned a black belt in TKD, but know i do Judo and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. remember if your school does not train you against fully resisting opponents and under moderate physichal contact you ARE not prepared for a street confrontation. Kata does not = fighting ability.
    thats very very debateable. Its no good having a group of white belts kick the shit out of each other if they're not going to learn anything.

The only way to learn is have the instructor go through the technique with a fine tooth comb so you know what you're doing.
  12. YourMuDoIsWeak
    YourMuDoIsWeak
    thats very very debateable. Its no good having a group of white belts kick the shit out of each other if they're not going to learn anything.

The only way to learn is have the instructor go through the technique with a fine tooth comb so you know what you're doing.
    Belts mean nothing.... seriously all they do is hold up your gi. what matters is skill and proficiency in techniques, profeciency is olny tested under the duress of combat or sparring.

and i agree with you to have total newbs go full contact is stupid but after a a few months at the very most they should be sparring. their is a reason why BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Kyokushin, Muay Thai are vastly more proficient in combat than say Shotokan, Tai Chi, Various Gung Fu. it is because they start their students training with resisting opponents they may also do compliant drills to learn motions but they test them out in sparring regularly so they know they work when the the other guy is trying to choke throw or smash you...
  13. Dr Mindbender
    Belts mean nothing.... seriously all they do is hold up your gi. what matters is skill and proficiency in techniques, profeciency is olny tested under the duress of combat or sparring.
    i realise belts mean little, i meant white belts purely in reference to noobs.

and i agree with you to have total newbs go full contact is stupid but after a a few months at the very most they should be sparring. their is a reason why BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Kyokushin, Muay Thai are vastly more proficient in combat than say Shotokan, Tai Chi, Various Gung Fu. it is because they start their students training with resisting opponents they may also do compliant drills to learn motions but they test them out in sparring regularly so they know they work when the the other guy is trying to choke throw or smash you...
    sparring is applicable to some TMA's, but not to all.
  14. Dharma
    Dharma
    Folkstyle wrestling may not be considered a Martial Art... but it has helped me a lot in the fights I have been in. I also practice boxing, not at a gym, just a speed bag and heavy bag in my basement. Stay safe comrades!
  15. jaffe
    jaffe
    That it doesn't come from the 'East' doesn't mean it isn't a martial arts.
  16. Dr Mindbender
    That it doesn't come from the 'East' doesn't mean it isn't a martial arts.
    correct. Krav Maga is Israeli, Capoeira is Brazillian and Val Tudo is Portuguese. I think Sambo is Russian.
  17. ev
    Other:

Systema
    Krav Maga

Both are highly efficient.
  18. jaffe
    jaffe
    why not one of them? because it seems to me they're the same kind of thing
  19. Red Radical
    Red Radical
    I do mma at a local gym and they provide several martial arts there i am currently in muay thai, wrestling, ju jitsu, boxing and judo i find that in a fight muay thai, boxing and judo are the most useful
  20. Sankofa
    Sankofa
    I did Tae Kwondo for years when I was younger. I stopped in my mid teens for what ever reason and haven't studied anything formally since.

I exercise regularly, but I've been thinking about training again. My area's not so big on martial arts gyms, but there's plenty related to Boxing. After this semester ends (and therefore have more time) I'll narrow it down to a few choices.

Training would be great again, from what I remember, I enjoyed it. I absolutely hate being new though; you know, when you first start out? Meh, I'll swallow my pride and choose something.
  21. ev
    why not one of them? because it seems to me they're the same kind of thing
    They are very different, one focuses on rapid threat neutralization (by even fatal means) and the other is not so direct (more subtle.) I regard both highly & recommend them to anyone.
  22. Dr Mindbender
    I did 4 cartwheels at training tonight. Do i get a ''fuck, yeah!?''
  23. Dr Mindbender
    BUMP.

Just to remind you, this poll have been updated

(im talking to you, MMA and krav maga fans!)

EDIT: In fact, stickied!
  24. optimist
    optimist
    fuck yeah to you ,but what is a cartwheel.i'm a fan of wing chun and krav maga can i vote for kravmaga too,in greece is a traddition to vote multiple times ,even in the general elections in the past
  25. farleft
    farleft
    I do karate with the organisation Go-Kan-Ryu

GKR have dojo's all over the UK & Australia, also USA and New Zealand.
  26. Dr Mindbender
    I do karate with the organisation Go-Kan-Ryu

GKR have dojo's all over the UK & Australia, also USA and New Zealand.
    Yeah, its a pity they happen to be less than reputable.

http://www.revleft.com/vb/mc-dojo-wa...176/index.html
  27. farleft
    farleft
    Yeah, its a pity they happen to be less than reputable.

http://www.revleft.com/vb/mc-dojo-wa...176/index.html

Yes I was aware of that, personally I don't have a problem with that.

I got involved due to their recruitment policy, had this guy not come to my door I wouldnt have bothered to do karate. How you get involved shouldn't be an issue. It should be more of the quality of the training which brings me to the other point mentioned.

It is true that not all senseis are black belts, though provided they are a higher belt than those they are training it shouldnt be a problem.

One of my sessions is on a tuesday the class has two sensei, one is a black belt and the other has a black and white belt, their grade is brown belt. My other class on Friday is also a back belt.

GKR is definately not a "McDojo" I find the cost to be very fair (a one of membership fee, if I remember rightly it was £25 and each session cost £6 (for an hour & half). Aside from the financial aspect, I know I can't compare to non-GKR dojos as I haven't attended others I find GKR to be very professional.

P.S. No I don't work for GKR before you ask! lol
  28. Dr Mindbender
    I still dont agree that it should be taken off the mcdojo list. Any MA that allows kyu grades to instruct is a joke IMO. (no offence).
  29. DirectAction
    DirectAction
    Im on a hiatus, and need to get back to a dojo for the sake of my health. In the last year I have studied both Judo and MT, but from the Tao of Bruce Lee Im very much of the mind MA's are about absorbing whats useful rather than looking to perfect tutelage under a style.
  30. not_of_this_world
    not_of_this_world
    I am certified handicapped and any form of martial arts is out of the question for me but I do adhere to a form of self defense and that is firearms but my wings have been clipped by a ding bat judge in my NY county. I was a corrections officer for 17 years in state prisons in Michigan and at the time my life was under threat so I applied for and received the CCW permit which was just initiated in Michigan so any law abiding citizen could carry a concealed weapon and I did for a few years but when I retired and moved to NY state I landed in an unfortunate county that has an old fart of a judge who does not believe in self defense. I am weapons trained in handguns, rifles and shotguns through my employment in -service training. All my handguns 17 of them were confiscated when I came to NY state. I was told that I was lucky I was not arrested! NY does not honor the Michigan CCW permit! It took me over a year to get my guns back and then I only got them back for hunting and target practice. Well, obviously I do not hunt being handicapped! I live alone and do keep a loaded weapon in near reach at all times. However, when I leave home I would like to carry. I know how the process went down in Michigan to get the "shall issue" CCW permit but I need lawyers to start the fight here in NY. There is also the issue that some counties do issue the permit but mine does not. NY City of course is impossible unless you are very wealthy and I have found that those people always get a permit to carry. I have not given up my fight but my wings are clipped as I said, I am hoping I can add some more information as it becomes available to me on this battle I am waging in NY.