What do you think about Quebec separating?

1. nvm
    I personally think that ,although it's true that Quebec had been oppressed for a long time by the rest of Canada, Quebec should not separate and that the workers of Quebec should throw the idea of separation in the trashcan. The question of separation is what currently divides the French with the English workers and some Allophone workers. One lesson that we should definitely draw from history is that a divided workers movement is a weak workers movement and an easy pray to capitalism and fascism. So francophone workers from Quebec should unite with anglophone and allophone workers from Quebec and together with the workers of the rest of Canada overthrow capitalism and create Canuckistan or Ameruckistan , depends how far the revolution goes. What's your opinion?
  2. Bear MacMillan
    I think Seperatism does cause friction between the different linguistic groups in this province, and alot of it these days seems to be "Pur Laine" psuedo-fascist seperatism; not only do some seperatists not want non-catholic, non-francophone immigrants in Quebec, but now the same people are against even immigration from french speaking catholics from countries like Algeria (I know alot of Algerians) just because they aren't "white enough".
  3. nvm
    Yes but don't forget separatism PQ style. It does not mean racism and the only thing it accomplishes is to divide the workers. I know hundreds of Anglophones who are working class that vote Liberals just because of the separation issue, while francos vote for PQ. That divides the workers that could be united in a worker's party (or at least a social-democratic party like the NDP) . That's why I think that separation presently divides the working class.
    But other than "bourgeois" politics, in a revolutionary situation it could potentially cause harm because it could again divide the workers and the capitalists and fascists could more easily crush them. That is why e should do away NOW with the issue of separation before it causes problems in the future. And I hate that the quebec-Solidaire and CPQ or whatever along with some dumb Trotskyist sects(I don't know about the RCP I hope RNK can tell us about its position) are pro-separation. We have to do away with this cancer.
  4. getfiscal
    The RCP is against Quebec nationalism as being an "entirely bourgeois project."

Personally I think that progressive nationalism helps pull Quebec towards the Left, but is entirely inadequate at moving far beyond that. Separation might put to bed some old divisions and lead to more class-based politics, and that seems more likely than trying to totally extinguish legitimate sovereigntist gripes. But we are still dealing with a rich country that is engaged in the exploitation of other countries. The proletariat in Quebec is small if thought in global terms, and at best social-democracy plus co-determination in the workplace is what you might be able to wrench out of the existing order barring third world revolutions.
  5. nvm
    The RCP is against Quebec nationalism as being an "entirely bourgeois project."
    Are you in the RCP? Are you RNK lol?
  6. getfiscal
    Are you in the RCP?
    No, I'm not in the RCP, although I have their literature.
  7. nvm
    No, I'm not in the RCP, although I have their literature.
    I've read some stuff by them over the internet. I don't respect them that much as an organization , some of the reasons are at my reply post to you at the revolution in the first world thread. There are a lot other reasons which I won't talk about them riht now because I ' m too tired. But if you are from the Montreal area and you would like to hear other views and participate in discussion groups and stuff we have one tomorrow at 6 If you wanna come send me a PM .
  8. Bear MacMillan
    I think if Quebec nationalists managed to get Quebec seperated, there would be nothing stopping Natives from seperating too, especially the Cree, who live where all the hydro dams are, and that would be especially damaging to the new Quebec nation. The Mohawks would probably seperate too because most don't speak French, and I hear some francophones insulting Mohawks sometimes because they don't speak French, that's not alot of motivation for staying in your new country.
  9. Charles Xavier
    The Communist Party of Canada, is not supportive of Quebec separating , but we do recognize Quebec as a nation and are supportive of national rights up to and including succession.
  10. redguard2009
    "I think if Quebec nationalists managed to get Quebec seperated, there would be nothing stopping Natives from seperating too"

Except the Quebec Army, since we all know how Native sovereignty played out in Oka during the 90s...
  11. Charles Xavier
    The Iroquois deserve equal national rights as the Quebecois do.
  12. Vincent P.
    Vincent P.
    Well the fact is that there is two different nations (minus the First Nations, which are even more diversified) in the same country. What should a coutry represent, if not the physical and administrative barrier between nations.
    What is a nation? Culture, and to a lesser extent physical barrier. Tell me then what culture Inuits, Iroquois, French Frogs and saskatchewan farmer share in term of culture? Different religious background, language and values.
    In the town where I lived, Amerindian and "pure laine" quebeckers hardly communicated with each other. There was two different world in a 8,000 people town, so imagine what it is like at the Canadian scale.