University under Joseph Stalin

1. JackAmphlett
    JackAmphlett
    I was recently reading about Joseph Stalin and education in the Soviet Union, and I was very confused by Stalin keeping University tuition fees.

According to this book it seems that Stalin actually re-instituted tuition fees in 1948. My thinking is that it was to try and get some more money after the huge losses incurred during World War 2. I know the book isn't the best source as it does espouse a quite anti-Stalinist line throughout but still, many sources say that Khrushchev removed tuition fees in 1956.

Another concerning thing I read was that education was still very classist and for the privileged. I know that this was only 30 years or so after the overthrow of the Tsarists and it takes a long time to deconstruct this classism within education.

The final thing is that apparently many fields, such as genetics, were banned under the pretext of being bourgeois. This is slightly concerning to me because many of these things don't actually seem bourgeois and are important sciences.