Reading suggestions?

1. DeathToNations
    DeathToNations
    Hey all. I'm mostly interested in trying to understand Marx, but I'm also a fan of history and I'd love to contextualize political economy within the realm of history. I'd also like to possess a more holistic knowledge of capitalist economics more generally just so that I "know my enemy" per se, so any pro-capitalist texts are welcome. I just watched the Law of Value series by brandanmccooney on his Kapitalism101 blog, and I'm aching to know more about everything related to economics.

I've read the manifesto and I tried to start Kapital, but I thought about reading other Marxist texts or more modern left-communist interpretations of Marx as he applies today, etc.

I'm also just down to learn about whatever because I'm a curious person, but I get overwhelmed by possibility if I don't get explicit suggestions on what to read from anyone. So any suggestions on just about anything are welcome.
  2. Noa Rodman
    Noa Rodman
    Brendan Mccooney's series is good, but more specifically on history of political economy (including critical overview of pro-capitalist authors) check:
    The quantity theory of money
    Abstract labour and the economic categories of Marx
    Credit romanticism in golden pincers
    Nominalism and the problem of the value of money
    Towards a theory of the development of the world market and the world economy
    On a branch of the Smithian school in France: Canard and Cournot

There are no real/good elaborations or left-communist interpretations of Marx. In fact a need is felt to return to the study of the basics of Marx.