Feminist for life? Contradiction of terms

1. Le Libérer
    Le Libérer
    I've heard it all now. I'm sure the anti-choice apologists around here can have a field day with this one. I heard of this organization whilst watching McCain 's desperate attempt to out pazazz OBama picking sarah Palin as VP. Anyway the website. Gasp! They are organized. I thought such idealogy was kept on the back roads hidden, much like the KKK.

McCains running mate Sarah Palin promises to make abortion illegal in all cases, even rape. Now thats taking the FFL slogans of "Refuse to Choose" and "Women deserve better than abortion" to new heights! They even have recruiters on uni campus'.

I look forwardto hearing you guys thoughts on this. Its almost humorous if it wasnt so repulsive. I'm completely perplexed
  2. Sentinel
    Sentinel
    McCains running mate Sarah Palin promises to make abortion illegal in all cases, even rape.
    In all of the US? How about cases when the womans life is threatened?
  3. F9
    F9
    its just sick.when you think that there couldnt be someone worse than bush such people come out.Fascism returning in a "democratically" way if such measures would be taken.

Fuserg9
  4. Bright Banana Beard
    Bright Banana Beard
    This is sickening... Contradiction of terms indeed.
  5. Le Libérer
    Le Libérer
    In all of the US? How about cases when the womans life is threatened?
    Part of her statement on abortion is this:
    Palin said she would support abortion only if the mother's life was in danger. When it came to her daughter, she said, "I would choose life."

No, that wasn't "I'd encourage her to choose life" or anything like that. If her daughter is raped, Sarah Palin intends to make her bear the rapist's child.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_122924.html
    So the only exception to her anti-abortion stance is if the mothers life is endangered.
  6. Sentinel
    Sentinel
    It sounds like she is a christian fascist..
  7. Le Libérer
    Le Libérer
    Heres a few more facts about her for the uninformed.

Palin recently said that the war in Iraq is "God's task."
    She's even admitted she hasn't thought about the war much—just last year she was quoted saying, "I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq."
    Palin has actively sought the support of the fringe Alaska Independence Party. Six months ago, Palin told members of the group—who advocate for a vote on secession from the union—to "keep up the good work" and "wished the party luck on what she called its 'inspiring convention.
    Palin wants to teach creationism in public schools. She hasn't made clear whether she thinks evolution is a fact.
    Palin doesn't believe that humans contribute to global warming. Speaking about climate change, she said, "I'm not one though who would attribute it to being manmade.
    Palin has close ties to Big Oil. Her inauguration was even sponsored by BP.
    Palin is extremely anti-choice. She doesn't even support abortion in the case of rape or incest.
    Palin opposes comprehensive sex-ed in public schools. She's said she will only support abstinence-only approaches.
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]As mayor, Palin tried to ban books from the library. Palin asked the library how she might go about banning books because some had inappropriate language in them—shocking the librarian, Mary Ellen Baker. According to Time, "news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor.
    She DID support the Bridge to Nowhere (before she opposed it). Palin claimed that she said "thanks, but no thanks" to the infamous Bridge to Nowhere. But in 2006, Palin supported the project repeatedly, saying that Alaska should take advantage of earmarks "while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."
    [/FONT]
  8. Decolonize The Left
    Decolonize The Left
    You are surprised? McCain tapped her as his VP... of course she's an anti-choice, pro-imperialism, pro-capitalism, reactionary.

But thanks for posting that quick info, it'll be helpful should I run into any supporters in the days running up the election.

- August
  9. Jazzratt
    Jazzratt
    Urgh. I don't know which is worse between this and the constant "what about men" whining of certain "feminists". I think, though, for a pure grotesque parody of feminism and anti-sexism in general this is just too fucking disgusting. Even the other mainstream parties/candidates aren't this obvious in theirs sexism.
  10. DesertShark
    DesertShark
    I saw this bumper sticker once (I wish I saw it more often): "If you can't trust with me a choice, how can you trust me with a child?"
    It makes an excellent point. Also, if these people were really against abortion, wouldn't they look at the cause of abortion (unplanned or unwanted pregnancies) and try to stop the cause before it became a problem?
  11. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    I consider myself feminist and anti-abortion.

I think we should aggressively reduce abortion rates by putting lots of funding into improving birth control, by providing social and financial support to parenting, by improving the educational and economic status of women, and by making open adoption a more socially acceptable option.

I would and do fight to keep it legal, but I find abortion to be worth taking a stand against. According to a midwife friend, the death rate is close to .1%, about the same as for cesareans. I hate that in the debate over legality, commonsense measures are casually ignored and forgone.

Palin is pretty terrifying though.

Edit: turns out it's actually a hundredth that. Yay for verifying statistics; thanks, Bobkindles.
  12. RedAnarchist
    RedAnarchist
    I consider myself feminist and anti-abortion.
    You can't be a feminist if you don't support a woman's right to bodily autonomy. Also, prepare to be restricted to OI, because being anti-abortion is a reactionary view.

I think we should aggressively reduce abortion rates by putting lots of funding into improving birth control, by providing social and financial support to parenting, by improving the educational and economic status of women, and by making open adoption a more socially acceptable option.
    What about if the woman's life is at risk or in the case of rape?

I would and do fight to keep it legal, but I find abortion to be worth taking a stand against. According to a midwife friend, the death rate is close to .1%, about the same as for cesareans. I hate that in the debate over legality, commonsense measures are casually ignored and forgone.
    Death rate for whom? The woman?

Palin is pretty terrifying though.
    Half of what she says seems to be almost a pardoy of the other.
  13. Rascolnikova
    Rascolnikova
    You can't be a feminist if you don't support a woman's right to bodily autonomy. Also, prepare to be restricted to OI, because being anti-abortion is a reactionary view.

What about if the woman's life is at risk or in the case of rape?
    I support my local planned parenthood. . . and living as I do, in down home christian land, that constitutes fighting for abortion rights. I feel it should be legal in all, or virtually all, cases; I also find it distasteful and dangerous, and therefore very much worth avoiding.

I don't think any of the means I suggested for "aggressively reducing abortion rates" are even slightly reactionary, and if they are I'd love for you to explain to me how.

Death rate for whom? The woman?
    Yes. It is my understanding that the death rate is considerably higher for the fetus, and lower for the doctor. I'd have thought this was clear.