Second Language Acquisition Theory

1. slum
    slum
    Opinions? I'm having to read a lot of this stuff for work/school recently and as mindnumbing as I find most of it (I wouldn't have thought it possible to make psycholinguistics boring, but somehow these articles have managed it), there's got to be something worthwhile in here.

the entire field of SLA just seems like a clusterfuck of jargony explanations for obvious shit everybody who has ever learned a foreign language already knows (learners learn at different rates and sometimes plateau, you can only concentrate on so much information at once, culture is a real thing, English L1 students can't escape the siren call of SVO) and mud-slinging between the various factions of theorists, none of whom are ready to admit that we don't really have any idea how L2 acquisition works, but my French classroom is more fun than yours, we watch Muzzy and eat cupcakes and make balloon animals!

maybe i'm just so abstract and insulated from reality that anything having to do with actual classrooms bores me. prove me wrong, revleft linguists!