Might be intersting as well:

International Erich Fromm Society:
    http://www.fromm-gesellschaft.eu/index.php/en/

Herbert Marcuse Official Homepage:
    http://marcuse.org/herbert/index.html
  3. RedMaterialist
    RedMaterialist
    I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this:

In terms of consciousness being determined by the means which humans use to reproduce their life; one of the, in my mind, fundamental discoveries of Freud was the relation of the subconscious mind to the repression of natural sexual desires, specifically, the mother-son (Oedipus) and the father-daughter (Electra) complexes.

And, thus, according to Freud, the result is the development of the self-conscious human mind from the suppression of taboo sexual desires. The self-conscious mind develops out of the suppression of a part of the conscious mind, in a kind of Hegelian dialectic. Now, the development of the sexual taboo probably began some 50 to a hundred thousand years ago, as a social evolutionary method of controlling the disease, genetic defects, etc. of inbreeding.

Thus, in Marxist terms consciousness developed as a result of a change in the "means of production," of a change in the reproduction of the human species itself.

Any thoughts?
  4. Red Economist
    An interesting idea. But I think there would be a much stronger relationship between sex and economics in so far as sexual desire is 'regulated' by the family institution to fit within monogamous relationships so that property can be inherited. (i.e. people must only have sex with one partner, even if they have sexual desires for more or another person because it is necessary to have a child inside of the marital relationship).
    Personally, I suspect their is a dialectic between the 'id'/pleasure principle (sexual desire) and the 'super-ego'/reality principle (internalization of sexual repression because of society) which may be useful to a marxian psychology.