Questions about Imperialism

1. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    Hey all fellow Marxist-Leninists, I have some questions lately about imperialism that I was hoping you could help me with. My Leninist theory has been pretty weak lately because it has been so long since I have thoroughly studied it. I'll get right into the questions.

So I understand that imperialism is marked by the export of capital from the imperialist nations to the oppressed nations. But I have a hard time visualizing this phenomenon realistically. So companies in imperialist nations accumulate massive amounts of capital which they have to export in order to keep making profits. What exactly does this entail? When people talk about "outsourcing" are they really talking about the export of capital? Is the opening of U.S. car manufacturing plants in Mexico an example of imperialism?

If a company opens an office in a foreign country does that automatically make it imperialist? If some computer company opens a customer service office in India is it being imperialist? If this is so, then does that mean that any foreign car dealership is an example of imperialism? If Honda or Toyota open dealers in the U.S., does that mean that they are being imperialistic towards the U.S? That seems strange to me b/c the US is the big imperialist country.

I suppose I have a hard time distinguishing between mere international trade and imperialism. Is Ikea an imperialist corporation for having stores in America? Is McDonalds imperialist for having restaurants in China? Can imperialist countries be imperialistic towards each other or only towards the designated oppressed nations?

I appreciate any and all clarification as this has been an issue that has crept up lately in several discussions and I have been unable to provide a clear understanding.

Thanks.
  2. Ismail
    Ismail
    Well, to begin with, as one guy notes:

Guy: well difference between international trade and imperialism would be
    Guy: an imperialist nation has a like
    Guy: "absolute" over-accumulation of capital
    Guy: it has to expand outwards to survive
    Guy: of course burundi can decide to invest in some random store next to its embassy in togo or something but obviously not the same lol

You should probably re-read Lenin's work.
  3. Taters
    Taters
    Besides Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism, what are Lenin's works on imperialism?
  4. Ismail
    Ismail
    Besides Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism, what are Lenin's works on imperialism?
    That is Lenin's work on imperialism. Anything else is basically just notes and comments on the hypocrisy of the imperialist powers with their "humanitarian" rhetoric, e.g. http://www.marxists.org/archive/leni...908/oct/16.htm and http://www.marxists.org/archive/leni...16/oct/x01.htm