Road to Power, chapter 4: "Will to live" / Volition

1. Q
    Q
    So, Walrus and I are studying this work and chapter 4 struck me as quite significant. To explain why, I'll quote a mail I sent to Chris Knight:

Hi Chris,

A comrade and I are currently studying The Road to Power and chapter 4 is quite interesting (although, I'm actually reading this translation).

When studying Capital with (yet) another comrade we came across an issue: What actually drives development in communism, given that there are no market driven mechanisms? Are we supposed to live under a communist society for the next, say, ten thousand years, which basically stays at the same technological level?

The Capital reading partner espoused that this is not at all that troublesome and that development was really driven by conflict. Ergo, the solving of social conflict would nullify most development. But that never really set well with me.

Now, this narrative on the "will to live better" is offering a possible solution and, since Kautsky goes on about instincts and, basically, human nature, I was wondering if there is more about this from a Marxist anthropological point of view?

Or would you say that it is complete nonsense and, if so, why?
    What are your thoughts on this?
  2. Q
    Q
    Got a reply from Chris:

Well, as you know, Emil, I think this problem will be solved in the future in the same way that it was solved in the past. You win the revolution and then deliberately surrender power so as to have no option but to win it again. That way, creative conflict is kept alive.

Chris
    Not sure how useful that is for me.
  3. l'Enfermé
    Wait what the heck does that mean?
  4. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    I'd like to compare this "will to live" against something like Maslow's hierarchy of needs, which is more on the side of economistic thinking.