Announcement of Reading Group

1. Yet_Another_Boring_Marxist
    Yet_Another_Boring_Marxist
    Although I really don't know how to use freenode, for now we'll be using them to facilitate our discussions

Here's a link. Enter in PW Group
    http://webchat.freenode.net/

We'll start off with a discussion on the MLM Study Group's paper, Evaluating The Cultural Revolution: It's Lessons for China and the Future

http://www.mlmrsg.com/79-statements/...for-the-future

The discussion will start next week

Since it is a long paper this discussion will go on for a mouth or two
  2. Brutus
    Brutus
    PWG for the channel?
  3. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    "Freenode" is a mess. I doubt you will find many RevLeft users who will go through the hassle in figuring it out. You will be better off at using Skype or Facebook.
  4. Brutus
    Brutus
    I'm up for Skype but would prefer Facebook.
    Good point TGU
  5. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    I think for assembly Facebook would be good, however, Facebook lacks a swift channel of communication. While a usergroup on Facebook could be made where the study members would be able to chat with one another (much in the same manner which I think Freenode was attempting) it lacks a Call component (such as Skype).

I mention calling because I think when dealing with a piece such as major political works for things to swiftly move on as they are intended people should be able to speak to one another with their vocal chords. Though typing can get one's point across it takes more time and is burdensome. With voice calls people can simply read off their thoughts and share in real time at a much more productive rate. I take regular part in Skype calls as part of my revolutionary youth group and can testify to its effectiveness. This is then compounded with the fact that with Skype calling is free when it is computer to computer (so anyone can sign up for a free account and get going in minutes).
  6. xvzc
    xvzc
    Thanks for this, but...:

[12:27] == [...] was kicked from #PWG by ChanServ [You are not authorized to be on this channel]
    [12:28] == #pwg Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned
  7. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    Thanks for this, but...:

[12:27] == [...] was kicked from #PWG by ChanServ [You are not authorized to be on this channel]
    [12:28] == #pwg Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned
    Same here when I tried to enter.
  8. Yet_Another_Boring_Marxist
    Ok try PW Group.

And we don't have to do freenode, but I'm a bit weary about facebook or skype. I do think we should have a certain degree of security concern. Maybe I could set up an AIM account? How about gmail chat?
  9. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    Ok try PW Group.
    PW worked for me. Still seems a bit strange though and think typing isn't going to be an effective way at discussing a complicated, mulch-layered piece.

And we don't have to do freenode, but I'm a bit weary about facebook or skype. I do think we should have a certain degree of security concern. Maybe I could set up an AIM account? How about gmail chat?
    I wouldn't be concerned about security: you are discussing a historical essay regarding a major world event; no one in the bourgeois world would harm you for scholastic study. Besides, I do not think Skype is as intrusive as Google or Facebook. That being said I have a gmail account and can do chat, though I still think the best course would be to use skype; however, at the end of the day it will be determined by what the members possess and prefer.
  10. Brutus
    Brutus
    I could get Skype, hopefully.
  11. Yet_Another_Boring_Marxist
    Well if everyone else agrees then skype is good then we'll do that. I'll try to set up an anonomous email account so that should work out. I'll post this message on the MLM group and maybe I'll invite some people from the rest of revleft.
  12. kasama-rl
    kasama-rl
    I might participate too. Share details of where we're meeting and when?

also the initial reading documents?

[email protected]
  13. Yet_Another_Boring_Marxist
    I might participate too. Share details of where we're meeting and when?

also the initial reading documents?

[email protected]
    The document that we are going to be reading is in the link in the OP, I've read most of it so if you'all forget to read I can talk you guys through it. If you're having trouble with the link I can send it to you again.

The reason why I choose this document is because not only is it decently comprehensive, but it was also recommended by the China Study Group which is a pretty good certificate of it's factual accuracy. However after this I think we'll study Kohad Gahandy's essay on the Communist Movement where there is a section critiquing the GPCR because the problem I feel there is with these documents is that there seems to be a part of the story that is intentionally left out, and while we should study and uphold the GPCR doesn't mean that we shouldn't be at least aware of the critiques of it.

And I was thinking about making us read an introductory document, but the problem is that alot of the easier pieces are from the 60's where there was an idealized version of the GPCR that doesn't really hold to close inspection. Additionally since this document is pretty long I don't think introductory material will help with the length. So the best thing to do in my opinion (which you are obviously allowed to and encouraged to disagree with) is to break up the discussion into multiple chunks where we can look at the document collectively to lower the reading load. Of course I would like it if you could all read it indepedantly so I don't have to walk you guys through it but for such a big piece I can't reasonably expect you to read it in one sitting so we'll be taking it one piece at a time.

However I do know that the RCP-USA published some good shorter articles on the GPCR, so please forgive me if this request offends you but could you by any chance link those articles?
  14. Yet_Another_Boring_Marxist
    Also update, due to some scheduling issues due to the fact that this conflicted with another reading group, we'll be doing this next saturday. I'll try to message everyone who posted here with the new details soon as I come up with them
  15. Yet_Another_Boring_Marxist
    My skype account is sylvia.w.esposito