School is like a totalitarian dictatorship.

1. TheTrotskyist☭
    TheTrotskyist☭
    I was talking to a friend of mine (a teacher), when this subject came up. I told her that school resembles that of a dictatorship.

1.) You can't leave: If you even try to step out the door, you get in serious trouble.

2.) No real freedom of speech: if it isn't yankee doodle dipshit, it isn't allowed.

3.) You can't question authority: If you try to defend yourself against an unfair teacher, BAM, in trouble.

4.) They decide what you can and can't wear.

What do you think?
  2. UNDEADnihilist13
    UNDEADnihilist13
    I agree. I refuse to say the pledge because it's a form a nationalism and I get in trouble for saying workers of the world unite. And the teachers are not even aloud to unionize! Do you say the pledge? Can your teachers unionize?
  3. YouthLiberation
    American schools are just terrible from what I hear. Norweigan ones are less authoritarian when it comes to the student-teacher relationship, but the schools' grade focus is misguided and they cling to the obsolete (if it ever was viable) concept of homework. Fortunatly I am a member of a party that wants to abdolish both those silly things.
  4. TheDoctor1996
    TheDoctor1996
    Another awful aspect about schools is that they do not teach critical thinking and I personally believe that they punish you in a subtle manner for independent studying, I failed my history class possibly because I knew a lot of facts that the students did not know.
  5. Црвена
    American schools are just terrible from what I hear. Norweigan ones are less authoritarian when it comes to the student-teacher relationship, but the schools' grade focus is misguided and they cling to the obsolete (if it ever was viable) concept of homework. Fortunatly I am a member of a party that wants to abdolish both those silly things.
    British schools are like this too, unfortunately. The "best," pupils are the ones who learn by rote and never think for themselves. School is bringing up children to become mindless and promoting false consciousness.
  6. Cosmonaut
    Exactly right. School is teaching us to be mindless robots that blindly follow and respect our "masters". I once had a teacher that straight up said that school is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship. He even justified the oppression of us both in and outside of school by saying that people under 18 are not citizens, therefore, we have no right to talk, to assemble, to express ourselves, etc. It really bothers me.
  7. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    Exactly right. School is teaching us to be mindless robots that blindly follow and respect our "masters". I once had a teacher that straight up said that school is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship. He even justified the oppression of us both in and outside of school by saying that people under 18 are not citizens, therefore, we have no right to talk, to assemble, to express ourselves, etc. It really bothers me.
    Your teacher was an honest bourgeois. I think this is a better reactionary than one whom always tries to sugarcoat oppression as liberation. Perceiving reality for what it is, after all, is one step towards developing class consciousness.
  8. Cosmonaut
    Riot the schools. I'm serious. Destroy all of the equipment used to teach. School will be forced to close down. Then they cannot force you into the prisons of school.

(originally meant for a thread 5 years older than this one.)
  9. TheGodlessUtopian
    TheGodlessUtopian
    Riot the schools. I'm serious. Destroy all of the equipment used to teach. School will be forced to close down. Then they cannot force you into the prisons of school.

(originally meant for a thread 5 years older than this one.)
    What an absurd statement. Education is needed to better society; the problem at hand is the way present-bourgeois-society handles education (brainwashing, lack of resources, teaching of irrelevant materials to individuals who need no such concepts). If you don't want to go to school I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't be forced. Yet, the issue at hand is the culture of education and how it is handled presently, not the nihilist musing that education in itself should be effaced from the face of the Earth.
  10. Cosmonaut
    What an absurd statement. Education is needed to better society; the problem at hand is the way present-bourgeois-society handles education (brainwashing, lack of resources, teaching of irrelevant materials to individuals who need no such concepts). If you don't want to go to school I agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't be forced. Yet, the issue at hand is the culture of education and how it is handled presently, not the nihilist musing that education in itself should be effaced from the face of the Earth.
    Well, what I believe is that people should teach themselves what ever they want at their own pace. It's what I do on my off time. School is a prison. Force you in there, and if you don't learn at the pace they want you to learn at, you are held back.
  11. Zoroaster
    Zoroaster
    Education should be managed better, not eradicated. Look up John Dewey, he was pretty cool.
  12. QFirestarter777
    QFirestarter777
    In my school(american public school) I can't transfer into a different class if a teachers teaching style doesn't work for me all I can do is watch myself fail