What exactly is Pabloism?

1. Ilyich
    Ilyich
    [FONT=Calibri]I know Michel Raptis Pablo was a secretary of the Fourth International who suggested that certain Stalinist leaders were unconscious Trotskyists and that certain Trotskyist organizations should practice deep entryism in the major Stalinist or social democratic parties of their countries (which the ortho-Trotskyists described as liquidationism). I also know that Pablo’s secretariat employed heavy-handed measures against those opposing unconscious Trotskyism and deep entryism but that’s about all I know. It seems to be an accusation of revisionism or opportunism or something of the sort that Trotskyists throw at one another but what are its theoretical underpinnings? Does it have to do with cooperation with the Stalinists? I’ve heard a later FI secretary Ernest Mandel being accused being a Pabloite and of being “soft on Stalinism.” Is being “soft on Stalinism” what Pabloism is? [/FONT]
  2. Lev Bronsteinovich
    [FONT=Calibri]I know Michel Raptis Pablo was a secretary of the Fourth International who suggested that certain Stalinist leaders were unconscious Trotskyists and that certain Trotskyist organizations should practice deep entryism in the major Stalinist or social democratic parties of their countries (which the ortho-Trotskyists described as liquidationism). I also know that Pablo’s secretariat employed heavy-handed measures against those opposing unconscious Trotskyism and deep entryism but that’s about all I know. It seems to be an accusation of revisionism or opportunism or something of the sort that Trotskyists throw at one another but what are its theoretical underpinnings? Does it have to do with cooperation with the Stalinists? I’ve heard a later FI secretary Ernest Mandel being accused being a Pabloite and of being “soft on Stalinism.” Is being “soft on Stalinism” what Pabloism is? [/FONT]
    Pablo's program was basically to say that there were going to be "centuries of deformed worker's states." Therefore, Trotskyists to basically liquidate their organizations and enter Stalinist groups. This caused a split in the FI -- with the US party (SWP), the British Party (the Healy group -- I think they were the SLL at the time), a split from the French Group, (OCI) and some other smaller groupings forming the International Committee. There were other splits that occurred, I don't know much about the history of the Posadas groupings. As Cannon noted when he realized the implication of Pablo's line, "how can I tell a young comrade to devote her life to this cause when there are going to be 'centuries of deformed workers' states'?"

Sometime around 1963 or 4, the SWP joined what was christened the United Secretariat for the Fourth International, which included the Pabloist parties (I think Pablo had already left to become an adviser to the bourgeois nationalist regime of Ben Bella).

I think that accusations of Pablolism, mainly amount to trying to find other forces to lead the revolution -- be they Stalinists or third world guerillas. It constitutes abandoning the program of Leninism/Trotskyism.