The Flag

1. TheRedAnarchist23
    This thread is for discussion on the flag we are going to use.
    We already have the sugestion of Tim Cornelis:

I think we should not have the same colours as the spanish republic, we should have diferent colours, to symbolise that our fight is international.

Maybe a red symbol with a black flag on background, like so:

Leave sugestions and comments.
  2. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    I can't see a flag?
  3. TheRedAnarchist23
    I can't see a flag?

Screwed the post, try now.
  4. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    It looks plain, simple and good. The question is wether it is distinctive enough, since a great many organisations use those colors. But it ofcourse suits our ideals. We will need the opinions of the others.
  5. TheRedAnarchist23
    It looks plain, simple and good. The question is wether it is distinctive enough, since a great many organisations use those colors. But it ofcourse suits our ideals. We will need the opinions of the others.
    The EZLN uses these colours. What do you mean not distinctive, here in Portugal when there is a demo you see many black flags (more than red flags), but each one can mean something diferent.

I will post this on riseup.
  6. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    The EZLN uses these colours. What do you mean not distinctive, here in Portugal when there is a demo you see many black flags (more than red flags), but each one can mean something diferent.

I will post this on riseup.
    I know, many organisations use these colors, that's why the colors are not very original. But I don't think that does matter here since the colors represent our ideals, anarchism and communism so they mean something. But it looks good and I like it, we just need a response from the other members.
  7. Tim Cornelis
    Tim Cornelis
    I don't see anything. I personally like the Spanish republican flag since it's distinctive everywhere except for Spain.
    The following flag was used by Marxist-Leninist nationalists (what ya gonna do about it) the Quebec Liberation Front. It looks good imo, maybe something like this (obviously not the same):
  8. Tim Cornelis
    Tim Cornelis
    Or perhaps this:

Since it's the flag of Namur, you can just order it throughout much Europe and it's easy to make as well. Maybe add a distinctive symbol, a star or popular front symbol.
  9. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    Both flags of Tim Cornelis are invisible to me
  10. TheRedAnarchist23
    Or perhaps this:

Since it's the flag of Namur, you can just order it throughout much Europe and it's easy to make as well. Maybe add a distinctive symbol, a star or popular front symbol.
    Red Star on the black side, and black popular front symbol on the red side?

You need to edit the album where you have posted your flags, and set it to public, so that everybody can see.
  11. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    It is possible for me to watch Tim Cornelis' pictures on my Ipod, but not on my pc... weird. I will mess around with photoshop tomorrow and I will come up with some suggentions which I will post both here and on riseup.net .
  12. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    I have no fucking idea how to upload images in a post but I posted the flag with Namur the way TRA23 proposed as good as I could (which is not very good, but what the hell) in my album on my profile page. I do not like the concept very much though, it's a little bit too complicated for a flag I think. The initial flag TRA23 made is my favorite, but the flag of Namur alone is okay too. It is basically the Anarcho-Communist flag though and this might annoy other tendency communists.
  13. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    I made multiple now.

Note: The one that has spelled International Brigades on it is the flag of the Ingsoc party from the 1984 universe, so I doubt we can even use it. Besides, this one is way to complicated to spray it on a wall and it, so just forget about that one. But it was fun to make!
  14. union6
    union6
  15. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    Well I think it is clear you should be the man of our artistic and graphics department... Your works are like the Mona Lisa compared to my mess :P
    So here by I do declare thou Commisar of Arts!

Personally I favor both the first and last. Could you maybe upload them to the shared documents section of our emailing list at riseup? If everyone would post their best idea's there we could have a vote and get down to the real business... a name!
  16. union6
    union6
    haha cheers, if you like those why not (bit of shameless advertising but might give you some ideas for posters ect.) take a look at my deviantart page http://union6.deviantart.com
    For some reason i cant login to the lists home page, im using my email address and password but its not letting me in :s
  17. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    TheRedAnarchist23 had the same thing initially. I believe your password for the list is normally different from the one you use for your mail, but I am not sure as I had no problems with this. If the problem maintains, you can ask TRA23, he already solved it.

Your site had some good designs, also, was it your design that was used on the wall of the metro? Or did you just happen to have the same design on your page?

Edit: never mind, just read in the comments that it was photoshopped haha :P I realised only later that is was weird to have commercials for a communist website in the metro station. You can be our Commissar of Propaganda too!
  18. TheRedAnarchist23

Those are amasing! I propose we use either the first or the last one!
  19. TheRedAnarchist23
    For some reason i cant login to the lists home page, im using my email address and password but its not letting me in :s
    For me the problem was I was entering my my email address wrong, It was [email protected], but I was writing [email protected].

@Student

Stop making Union6 commissar of everything, soon there he will become like Stalin!
  20. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    So what!? I FUCKING ADORE STALIN!!! And soon, union6 and I will purge your sorry ass if you keep criticising us like that!!!
  21. Tim Cornelis
    Tim Cornelis
    They look nice, but I will raise a practical concern:
    money.
    We need to make red/black flags, let's say 10€ each. Which is of course doable.
    Then we need to do screen printing (if that is the correct translation) for the emblem and the price categorie are as follows (at least to my knowledge):
    1 colour = cheapest
    2 colours = medium
    3 colours = priciest
    The use of three colours in the emblem will thus drive up the price.
  22. Tim Cornelis
    Tim Cornelis
    That being said, I'd pick this one:
    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...psb7ef1bf7.jpg

The red top and black bottom has also been used by non-anarchist groups.
  23. union6
    union6
    I have copyed and pasted my email address and password into notepad and then copyed them into the lists login area but still wont work :s .......

lol GREAT though you dont have anything to fear.... until you see me buying a mustache comb and browsing ebay for an ice pick

I know what you mean Tim regarding pricing but at the end of the day the flag would be bought by the whole column so the price would be shared around instead of it just being down to one person to fund. Also sites like vistaprint (which i love cos they always give away some discount) let you print custom banners with unlimited colours for something like £10, so if cash and membership is a issue then could fly it as a banner instead of a traditional flag. ps. i think i prefer the red top black bottom one to, took it from the 26th of July Movement, didn't know over groups had used it.
  24. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    Try getting a new password for your list login. I had to do that once too because I forgot it once (your email password does not have to be identical to your list password I believe).

I think it's important that we don't get narrowed down to one tendency. We should remain open. So in that case I would be fine with the top bottom flag too.

We could also have one banner for every column and some smaller simple red flags and black flags for the other members, if we would come in a situation where we all need to carry a flag.
  25. Tim Cornelis
    Tim Cornelis
    The Australian Aboriginal flag:

Fly it upside down and put the symbol and purple line on it. Is cheaper I think (but that's a guess)
  26. union6
    union6
    just gone on the FAQ's, it seems that i was supposed to get another email with a random generated password, but i never got it, so i will try and subscribe again.
  27. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    We would still have to buy paint. If we already are buying paint, we might as well buy 3 colors i stead of 2. We buy a nice red fabric, paint one side black and add the yellow and purple. This way each column could also add some local details. Would be a nice competition, who has the most beautiful flag! Plus, this will be cheaper onlarge scale. I know someone who is always creating flags for the FC Groningen Ultras (local fanclub of local football team). Its really not hard and expensive.

I will accept as soon as i get the subscription request!
  28. union6
    union6
    All sorted with the list i can now login ect.
    I got thinking about having a kind of template for a columns own flag and came up with this: http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ion6/cflag.jpg
    In the red space they can add what ever they want, text images ect. Just incase some are a bit daunted with creating a flag from scratch. Also we could use this for banners with various slogans on it that are specific for that particular demo/ picket ect.
  29. Tim Cornelis
    Tim Cornelis
    I think this flag:
    http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...psc4215beb.jpg
    Is too anarchistic.

It's one of the other three.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ion6/cflag.jpg

I think this is okay, but I would not use the arms.
  30. The Cheshire Cat
    The Cheshire Cat
    It does seem anarchist, which I personally don't mind, but since we decided to be non-tendency we should probably not use it. It is still one of my favorites though.

The first one is good too, but that shows too little of what we are maybe. Black could be anarchists and fascists. Too unclear.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...psb7ef1bf7.jpg
    This is the most practical I think.

I would leave out the arms too. It is a nice idea but I does not work I think.