Comparative presidential systems

1. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    http://www.revleft.com/vb/comparativ...053/index.html

Political Science 101 (I hope): What are the pros and cons of comparative (primarily Latin American) presidential systems, as per the examples below?

1) Assuming weak or semi-strong veto power, and not strong veto power, from Peru’s model, an exclusively executive ability to deal with legislature-defeated bills and vetoed bills, like those dealing with questions on war and peace, by holding referenda

2) From the models of Brazil and Chile, an exclusive legislative initiative (reserved for the executive) in policy areas beyond just budget law and international trade affairs

3) From Ecuador’s model, the ability to force legislatures to explicitly vote down, within a certain number of days (30 in Ecuador), bills submitted by the executive that have also been declared “urgent” (otherwise that bill automatically becomes law)

4) From Venezuela’s model, the ability to legislate by decree

5) For the purposes of direct monetary and fiscal intervention, including the specific case of avoiding a US-style budget crisis initiated by a relatively stubborn legislature (a la Gingrich), from Colombia’s model, the ability to declare “economic emergency”

6) From the FDR era, but more extensive, the enforcement of political accountability in those courts dealing specifically with constitutional affairs (as opposed to typical criminal and civil cases) by means of of arbitrary "judiciary reorganization" and "court packing"

7) From Russia's model, the power to arbitrarily dismiss and support chief executives of municipalities, provinces, prefectures, and federated states
    Damn, I forgot the South African model! That's the missing element! So it's basically a South African-style presidency with regards to legislative confidence. OTOH, the chief-executive-vs-legislative system could still be formally separate yet substantively united. This implies some "Party Executive Committee" formally outside the governing structure but calling all the shots vs. all the legislators and even El Presidente and some National/Pan-National Leader not occupying La Presidencia.
  2. Brosa Luxemburg
    Brosa Luxemburg
    2) From the models of Brazil and Chile, an exclusive legislative initiative (reserved for the executive) in policy areas beyond just budget law and international trade affairs
    What would these areas include?

5) For the purposes of direct monetary and fiscal intervention, including the specific case of avoiding a US-style budget crisis initiated by a relatively stubborn legislature (a la Gingrich), from Colombia’s model, the ability to declare “economic emergency”
    What would the declaration of an "economic emergency" entail?
  3. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    What would these areas include?
    The book I read on Latin American presidentialism and caudillo-ism didn't specify the areas under presidential initiative in Brazil or Chile. I'm sure they're "reasonable" for Third World conditions, though.

What would the declaration of an "economic emergency" entail?
    Definitely not big-time strike action (though I'm sure Colombia includes that as part of "economic emergency"), but more like natural catastrophes and such (another Latin American country whose name I don't have off the top of my head has this). That would go along with what I already mentioned: monetary and fiscal intervention so that the government doesn't "shut down."

Anyway, if one examines the details of the "caudillo" claim by liberals, one can find that it isn't substantive from a more legal perspective, certainly when compared to the combination that I'm proposing (only to be packed and sacked at the pleasure of a ruling party's "politburo" ).

History trivia: It was none other than Simon Bolivar who argued for a strong presidential system as a necessary for safeguarding Latin American independence. Again, look at the legal fine print, and you'll find there's not enough combination to back his argument.
  4. Brosa Luxemburg
    Brosa Luxemburg
    Definitely not big-time strike action (though I'm sure Colombia includes that as part of "economic emergency"), but more like natural catastrophes and such (another Latin American country whose name I don't have off the top of my head has this). That would go along with what I already mentioned: monetary and fiscal intervention so that the government doesn't "shut down."
    So, for example, I know when Venezuela was hit by a hurricane Chavez used executive privilege to act fast to the problem, going around other branches of government. In an "economic emergency" would a system such as that be implemented?
  5. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    If anything else, comrade, Chavez should have had more "economic emergency" powers to deal specifically with the hurricane aftermath.

However, Venezuela wasn't the country I was thinking of. I think it was Chile and a recent earthquake, but of course I could be wrong.

As for your question re. TWCS: yes.