"Caesarism"

1. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    http://marxism.halkcephesi.net/Anton...civil/ch02.htm

There can be both progressive and reactionary forms of Caesarism; the exact significance of each form can, in the last analysis, be reconstructed only through concrete history, and not by means of any sociological rule of thumb. Caesarism is progressive when its intervention helps the progressive force to triumph, albeit with its victory tempered by certain compromises and limitations. It is reactionary when its intervention helps the reactionary force to triumph – in this case too with certain compromises and limitations, which have, however, a different value, extent, and significance than in the former. Caesar and Napoleon I are examples of progressive Caesarism, Napoleon III and Bismarck of reactionary Caesarism.

[...]

The Caesarism of Caesar and Napoleon I was, so to speak, of a quantitative/qualitative character; in other words it represented the historical phase of the passage from one type of State to another type – a passage in which the innovations were so numerous, and of such a nature, that they represented a complete revolution. The Caesarism of Napoleon III was merely, and in a limited fashion, quantitative; there was no passage from one type of State to another, but only "evolution" of the same type along unbroken lines.

In the modern world, Caesarist phenomena are quite different, both from those of the Napoleon III type – although they tend towards the latter.
    And thus Gramsci was the first Marxist to reconsider the political legacy of Julius Caesar, paving the way for people's history and contemporary implications decades later. However, I'm skeptical about Gramsci's characterization of the true Napoleon's regime.
  2. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    I have yet to delve into Gramsci's work fully yet, since I'm still finishing up some basic Lenin texts.

It seems anyone can see anything in Gramsci, though I'm not exactly sure which aspects the reformists have hijacked.
  3. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    Well, it seems that site no longer works anymore, at least for me. The same section, in a fuller context, can be found in the download "Selections for Prison Notebooks" I have in the list of resources.

I'm not sure if I hold the same interpretation of "Caesarism" here or give it as much importance though. Somewhere in there I recall Gramsci saying something that his analysis should be seen more in an "ideological-polemical" context rather that historical. Plus there was a need to invoke Caesar due to Mussolini's own use of him in Italian propaganda, saying that just as Caesar transformed Rome from a city-state to the capital of an empire, that Mussolini would transform Italy into an eminent world power...
  4. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    Yes, and I posted this thread here, in fact a replication of the History thread, because it's the basis of a contemporary political argument and not some historical musing or two.
  5. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    Where do you see it as most applicable currently? It appears most of the discussion focuses on those leaders that have risen in South America.
  6. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    Any country that doesn't have a proletarian demographic majority.