State Atheism

1. RedAtheist
    RedAtheist
    I wouldn't call myself a state atheist, but I am open to it. Does any one here support state atheism? If so what do you mean by it
  2. Registered User
    Since I dropped religion I support the creation of an atheist state
  3. RedAtheist
    RedAtheist
    Since I dropped religion I support the creation of an atheist state
    What do you mean by that exactly, i.e. what would an atheist state do differently to a merely secular state (which is supposed to be 'neutral' towards religion, which is impossible really.)
  4. Zealot
    Zealot
    Personally, I think an "Atheist State" should still allow freedom of religion but promote Atheism throughout the schools etc. to stamp out religion, at least among the new generations, and make it an embarrassment to admit you're religious in any way. Churches and religions will not be allowed to create private schools and will stop being supported by the state in any way, whether this means cutting off funding to churches or removing all mentioning of "god" from the national anthem (which, ironically, my country has even though we are largely non-religious). Hardline clerics and elites should be suppressed, the Pope removed from his position etc.
  5. xREDNECKx
    xREDNECKx
    Personally, I think an "Atheist State" should still allow freedom of religion but promote Atheism throughout the schools etc. to stamp out religion, at least among the new generations, and make it an embarrassment to admit you're religious in any way. Churches and religions will not be allowed to create private schools and will stop being supported by the state in any way, whether this means cutting off funding to churches or removing all mentioning of "god" from the national anthem (which, ironically, my country has even though we are largely non-religious). Hardline clerics and elites should be suppressed, the Pope removed from his position etc.
    Agreed
  6. Positivist
    Positivist
    I wouldn't remove religious figures from their position as that would cause an uproar, but I definitely approve of taking away any authority they have, and expropriating their property.
  7. RedAtheist
    RedAtheist
    I wouldn't remove religious figures from their position as that would cause an uproar, but I definitely approve of taking away any authority they have, and expropriating their property.
    Huh? That sounds pretty contradictory to me. How can you take away their authority without removing them from their position?
  8. Positivist
    Positivist
    Huh? That sounds pretty contradictory to me. How can you take away their authority without removing them from their position?
    Monitor what they can publicly advocate, remove any direct political power they may have, expropriate their property, etc. This way their influence can be formally retained for the sake of avoiding disillusioning the many religious workers, while neutralizing their real power. Hey but if there is a strong enough atheist presence in the workers movement I'm game for total removal.
  9. Geiseric
    Geiseric
    well religeon and oppression go hand in hand, so religeon would lose its point once oppression is ended.