Stalinism.

1. Omsk
    Omsk
    I have been around Revleft for some time now,and from day one,i was a Marxist-Leninist,at first,a bit of a confused Marxist-Leninist,but than,as i read more,and really understood Marxism-Leninism,i became one of the 'hardliners' - [completely against revisionism and reformism] ,gradually.I started out slow,because my knowledge of the English language was that of someone who read a few texts,however,it improved,and i think,it is still improving,and i can participate in discussions without the problem of the language-barrier.And,to continue,as time passed,and i argued with people more and more, the phrase: "Stalinism" came up more than enough times.It was used by various people describing various things,in most casses,they simply showed that they dont know what "Stalinism" means or its historical background.Stalinism was never the state ideology of the USSR,let alone any state.This mythic Stalinism,is just a phrase,first used by Lazar Kaganovich,and is something that Stalin didnt even like.In fact,there is evidence that he hated the term.We know what Marxism-Leninism is [Merger of the ideas of Karl Marx,Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin] ,we know that the USSR 1917-1953 was a progressive state,and that the Vanguard party,the Communist Party of the Soviet Union followed the correct line set up by Lenin,and those before him {Marx,Engels} ,while the reforms of revisionism instituted by Nikita Khrushchev,and the grand deciever and true leader from the shadow,Suslov, were a complete revision of the very basic principles the revolutionaries of 1917 fought for.

But what is Stalinism?

I will answer:at first,a speech phrase,but than,it took a completely negative meaning,and is now used by the worst kind of Trotskyists and "Ultra-Leftists" .

Should we ignore it?
  2. Vyacheslav Brolotov
    "Stalinist" is just a derogatory term that idiotic left communists use against us. This mythical Stalinism is nothing more than anti-revisionist Marxism-Leninism with a few characteristics specific to the rapid industrialisation that was necessary for the Soviet Union in Stalin's time.
  3. Vyacheslav Brolotov
    Ignore those Trotskyists, Left Communists, and anarchists.
  4. ColonelCossack
    ColonelCossack
    I have been around Revleft for some time now,and from day one,i was a Marxist-Leninist,at first,a bit of a confused Marxist-Leninist,but than,as i read more,and really understood Marxism-Leninism,i became one of the 'hardliners' - [completely against revisionism and reformism] ,gradually.I started out slow,because my knowledge of the English language was that of someone who read a few texts,however,it improved,and i think,it is still improving,and i can participate in discussions without the problem of the language-barrier.And,to continue,as time passed,and i argued with people more and more, the phrase: "Stalinism" came up more than enough times.It was used by various people describing various things,in most casses,they simply showed that they dont know what "Stalinism" means or its historical background.Stalinism was never the state ideology of the USSR,let alone any state.This mythic Stalinism,is just a phrase,first used by Lazar Kaganovich,and is something that Stalin didnt even like.In fact,there is evidence that he hated the term.We know what Marxism-Leninism is [Merger of the ideas of Karl Marx,Friedrich Engels and Vladimir Lenin] ,we know that the USSR 1917-1953 was a progressive state,and that the Vanguard party,the Communist Party of the Soviet Union followed the correct line set up by Lenin,and those before him {Marx,Engels} ,while the reforms of revisionism instituted by Nikita Khrushchev,and the grand deciever and true leader from the shadow,Suslov, were a complete revision of the very basic principles the revolutionaries of 1917 fought for.

But what is Stalinism?

I will answer:at first,a speech phrase,but than,it took a completely negative meaning,and is now used by the worst kind of Trotskyists and "Ultra-Leftists" .

Should we ignore it?
    I agree wholeheartedly with this and it's what I've thought for some time. Since Marxistp-Leninism is Marxism and Leninism, why confuse it more by introducing another name? Theoretically, you can be an M-L without really supporting Stalin, which is the position I took when I first joined Revleft- though, of course, now, thanks to all you comrades, I appreciate Stalin's large contribution to Marxist Leninism, anti-revisionism etc.
  5. GallowsBird
    GallowsBird
    The above is true, someone can personally not agree with Stalin as a whole the main thing is that we M-Ls think he did uphold Marxist-Leninist principals... I am one of the more pro-Stalin but even I, if I look, can find things I disagree with him on, partly because of the fact times are different now (we are less homophobic for one thing). The "Stalin Worshipping Tankie Personality Cultist" M-L is pretty much a myth... at least I have never met one that conforms to the Left-Com, Anarchist, Trotskyist or Liberal definition of a "Stalinist".

I only ever use "Stalinist" when I am being humourous and mocking such nonsense.
  6. Omsk
    Omsk
    A note:

My critiqe was not aimed at Marxists-Leninists who uphold Stalin (As that would be kind of...weird.) but at counter revolutonaries using the phrase "Stalinism".
  7. Roach
    Roach
    Ignore it. I think it must be noted that Stalinism lumps together people like Ceaucesco, Tito, Mao Tse-Tung, Kruschev, Brezhnev, Enver Hoxha, Kim Il-Sung, Toggliatti, Dolores Ibaurri, Pranchanda, Fidel Castro and hell even Gorbachev! It doesnt really have a commonly attributed class basis, some say bureacracy, some say the new-bourgeoisie and sometimes people like to blame peasantry presence in the party, it disregards the diferences between guerrilla groups in South America and social-democratic parties in Europe, so I think it is a pretty vague term.
  8. Comrade Samuel
    Comrade Samuel
    I find it ironic that other tendencies tend to accuse us of "making Stalin out to be a hero" even though decent number of m-l's often disagree with if not flatly contadict many of stalin's policies all the while trotskyists act like Trotsky was the greatest thing since sliced bread and NO ONE calls them out on it especially when they are ranting about us betraying Marxist and Leninist ideals.

Ignore them, they clearly don't understand what they are talking about when they use phrases like "Stalinism"
  9. Omsk
    Omsk
    My brain explodes when someone says that Pol Pot was a Stalinist.
  10. ColonelCossack
    ColonelCossack
    ^That. Very Much.
  11. El Chuncho
    El Chuncho
    Agreed. Pol Pot was not even the worst type of communist. He was also the nearest thing I can think of as ''evil'', along with Hitler and people like Trujillo. Vietnam doesn't get the credit it deserves for liberating Kampuchea and saving the lives of detainees in Tuol Sleng prison - some of whom were children.

M-L is a diverse movement. It stretches to those that agree with Stalin almost 100% (I'm about 89% probably, because, like GallowsBird, I disagree with the homophobia (and a few other things) of the era in which Stalin lived, and thus seemed to agree with (as was common)) to those who have many criticism (such as Fidel Castro) but what brings us together is that we believe that Stalin upheld Marxism-Leninism for future generations. ''Stalinism'' is not a suitable name for Marxism-Leninism...though I think Stalin was the greatest M-L in history.
  12. Comrade_Stalin
    Comrade_Stalin
    "Stalinist" is just a derogatory term that idiotic left communists use against us. This mythical Stalinism is nothing more than anti-revisionist Marxism-Leninism with a few characteristics specific to the rapid industrialisation that was necessary for the Soviet Union in Stalin's time.
    I would point out that they use the word "hardliners" the same way, and I'm more then happy to call myself one. The word "Stalinist" as you point out are the people who follow "anti-revisionist Marxism-Leninism with a few characteristics specific to the rapid industrialisation that was necessary for the Soviet Union in Stalin's time". That why I would like it if we worked on Neo-Stalinist thoery that was anti-revisionist Marxism-Leninism with characteristics specific for our time.