Case for Comrade Stalin

1. Vyacheslav Brolotov
    Hello Comrades,

I have to make a presentation in World Histroy about why Stalin was a great leader. I know he was a great leader because he protected anti-revisionism, destroyed the fascist and Trotskyist menace, and oversaw the Soviet Union's transition from Lenin's (necessary) state capitalism with his abandonment of the New Economic Policy in favor of Five Year Plans. But how do I explain Stalin's greatness to a bunch of brainwashed students who have been taught all their lives that Stalin was even worst than Hitler? Can you guys make a case in favor of Comrade Stalin? I would appreciate it.
  2. GallowsBird
    GallowsBird
    I would point out that the average lifespan and way of life improved and that the USSR became a powerful nation after being a backwater for years... also note that Stalin predicted the Nazi threat and actually tried to forge a temporary alliance between the UK and France to stop Hitler which the UK and France turned down.

No one will believe you no matter what you say, sadly, and will mostly still see Stalin as "EVUL!!!!!111111 WRS THN HITLER!!!!!!!" I'm afraid; but it is worth a try. Good luck anyway.
  3. dodger
    dodger
    hi ho ...Commistar....enjoyed your posts!...off to bed...but what comes to mind...turn question round, what made ordinary people great? What part might Stalin have played in that? A peasant woman would certainly have the option to have her baby in hospital. Agreat start to life. Hundreds of thousands of workers and peasants children gained degrees techie qualifications, high rank in armed forces.Sport promoted.A workers son could be at top class university in spare time learning to fly plane or parachuting or whatever. A Jew, son of mineworker sang part Prince Nevski...."NO-NO!!" Stalin said yes.yes. "Why can't a Jew....." Read the bio of any Soviet citizen that has achieved....odds are they are from working family. Compared to Czars days WHEN A PEASANT MIGHT BE WHIPPED FOR EVEN MAKING EYE CONTACT WITH A NOBLE. Women have played very important role that can be emphasized. JUST FEW IDEAS THAT COME TO MIND ...SURE OTHERS WILL CHIP IN....HAHA...YER COME TO RIGHT PLACE.
  4. Comrade Samuel
    Comrade Samuel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25hV9keWsjY (skip to 2:05 if you don't want to listen to athem)

This lecture hits on alot of the inncidents that people tend to use against Stalin and the pre-WWII soviet union. I cant be certain if this is legit due to the lack of citation but if Anyone has something confirming it I would strongly suggest using information from this.

Stalin r wrse den hitlr cuz all Mai relible sources that I ghet info frum (wikipedia and the black book of communism)
  5. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    I've made liberals and conservatives agree with me that Stalin's industrialization policies were legitimately successful. It's not too hard to argue that, I don't think. They'll throw out "Yeah well he killed a lot of people" and you can talk about how that's a misconception and show that the average gulag sentence was only 5 years of labor (compared to the slave labor of U.S. prisoners for life sometimes). I'm not too sure about that statistic, I just remember reading it was 5 years. You should check up on it, though.
  6. Comrade Samuel
    Comrade Samuel
    I've made liberals and conservatives agree with me that Stalin's industrialization policies were legitimately successful. It's not too hard to argue that, I don't think. They'll throw out "Yeah well he killed a lot of people" and you can talk about how that's a misconception and show that the average gulag sentence was only 5 years of labor (compared to the slave labor of U.S. prisoners for life sometimes). I'm not too sure about that statistic, I just remember reading it was 5 years. You should check up on it, though.
    Ask them how many people died building up the U.S the 1776 to 1945? Stalin was able to make about the same amount of progress in only 21 years and with far less casualties.

The point to get from this is all forms of improvement require sacrifice, Stalin could just shorten the process.
  7. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    Ask them how many people died building up the U.S the 1776 to 1945? Stalin was able to make about the same amount of progress in only 21 years and with far less casualties.

The point to get from this is all forms of improvement require sacrifice, Stalin could just shorten the process.
    Pretty much.
  8. Omsk
    Omsk
    I'd like to help.

Just ask me whatever you want to know via "Private Message" to prevent a wall of text in this thread.
  9. dodger
    dodger
    This might put flesh to bone as well as being of more general interest, comrade commistar.

This review is from: The Best Sons of the Fatherland: Workers in the Vanguard of Soviet Collectivization (Paperback)
    In this fascinating book, Lynne Viola studies the work of the 25,000 workers who went to the Soviet countryside to assist collectivisation.
    As she writes, "the 25,000ers were representative of a politically and numerically significant group of workers - politically active cadre workers. Their primary motives in volunteering to participate in the campaign were not based on coercion or material self-interest. The 25,000ers were workers who, on one level or another, identified with the state and party and supported the program of the First Five-Year Plan revolution."
    She continues, "The 25,000ers' role in the proletarianization of the rural apparatus through purge and recruitments was an extension of the social and political policies of the cultural revolution of the First Five-Year Plan in the cities. Purge and recruitment of working-class forces in the urban government apparatus, industry and higher education had broad ramifications in the creation of a base of social support for the state in later years, as well as providing a response to the grievances and aspirations of workers who claimed that the role of the working class had been slighted during NEP."
  10. GallowsBird
    GallowsBird
    I have got a few people to agree with me on Stalin. Sadly however most we just keep saying the same thing. You'd be asked about the purges, and you'd clear up some misconception, then it would go to the soviet alliance with the Nazis which you'd point out wasn't an alliance at all, then you'd go to Holodomor, then back to purges.

We should all try to clear up this though, but as you tend to repeat yourself all the time it gets frustrating... maybe we need a new tactic for getting our points across?
  11. dodger
    dodger
    Good point....Gallows....have added a few topics myself...others might do the same....suck it and see, The previous post to yours. Stalinists collectivize!!!!...this time with a "human face" not faceless bureaucrats or w o r s e!!!!
  12. Bostana
    Bostana
    Well first don't come one to strong , ya'know?
    Just don't start off by saying "Stalin is a Good Leader because.." You have to ask questions in a way. Like, I don't know, maybe ask "Would a nation be better with Homeless or without Homeless? A society with classes or no classes?" Or at least something like that.
    And then when they say yes (if they have a brain they will say yes) tell them Stalin did all these things and much, much more