Do Atheists Hate God?

1. RedAtheist
    RedAtheist
    Some atheists say that you cannot hate something you do not believe exists. I disagree. Hate simply means having a strong negative emotion about something. Emotions can be evoked with regard to things that do not exist. For example, stories evoke emotions, a good writer can make you hate the villain of their novel (film, tv series, etc.) I can hate a villain from a story (and sometimes the hero, of a story, if the story is badly written) without believing that the villain exists, due the immoral actions they are said to have committed. Likewise I can hate historical figures like Hitler, because of things they did, even if they no longer exist.

Thus I think I can say that I hate the Christian God too. When I hear of him killing thousands of people for not worshiping him or worshiping something else (I am opposed to worship generally, but I would not kill people for it) I get angry. Just because it didn't happen, doesn't mean I am not going to have an emotional response to it.

It's good to get angry about things like this. Likewise I find it is good to get angry at the idea being promoted at the heart of this, which is that whatever some divine authority figure does is okay and that might makes right. We shouldn't be ashamed of this kind of (justified) hatred and anger.

As for other ideas of god. I think any being that believes it should be allowed to run the universe (or some part of the universe, e.g. the seas), despite not being (in any sense) elected to run anything, is deserving of disapproval. All gods seem to have this in common (though granted, not all of them are meant to be thought of as morally good.)

I can't claim to speak for all atheists, but do I hate God? I think I do, even though I don't believe he exists.
  2. thriller
    thriller
    This is a really interesting point. I never considered this question because I've always just said 'Well god doesn't exist, so I have no thought on him.' But this is a much more militant idea, and I believe more effective. Because when people hear me say 'I'm an atheist' and I talk about what Christians/Muslims/Hindus/etc have done throughout history they feel like I hate the followers of god. So it actually may be more effective to say 'No I don't hate Christians, I hate god because of the rules and actions you claim he makes. If you believe in him/her and believe all this stuff s/he does and says, then fuck that guy/girl for making these 'laws' and committing these actions'.
  3. leftistman
    When I first denounced Judaism which was an important part of my life, I felt very angry because God was not there to protect me. I had dedicated so much time to a lie and therefore hated religion and theism. While I am an avid scientific skeptic and anti-theist, I do not feel any hatred or anger towards religion or gods. I feel free and liberated from the restraints of religion and belief in a god, so naturally I'm not upset anymore.
  4. RedAtheist
    RedAtheist
    When I first denounced Judaism which was an important part of my life, I felt very angry because God was not there to protect me. I had dedicated so much time to a lie and therefore hated religion and theism. While I am an avid scientific skeptic and anti-theist, I do not feel any hatred or anger towards religion or gods. I feel free and liberated from the restraints of religion and belief in a god, so naturally I'm not upset anymore.
    Hatred is not necessary about feeling really upset and depressed. Its more about strongly disliking something. I'm not "upset" by racism, because I know the racist shit people say about people is not true, but I am strongly opposed to it and I am happy to count that as hatred.

The highlighted terms indicate strong opposition to religion. I would call that hatred. You can, however, call it what you like.
  5. ComradeOfJoplin
    ComradeOfJoplin
    I hate god for it feel like an invisible ghost seems to have control there minds and bodies of every.