What is the Cult?

1. Ocean Seal
    Ocean Seal
    I actually don't have much experience with it. I know that a lot of people like her personality of ME I'm awesome, helping others is crap type of bs. Is there any more detail on her cult?
  2. Rooster
    It's like an inverse Leninism.
  3. ColonelCossack
    ColonelCossack
    ohmygod

she's right up there with sarah palin, george bush, david cameron, nick clegg, rascists, ulster unionists, tories, neo liberals, racists, fascists, rebecca black, justin bieber, herbert hoover, ricky gervais, rory edmunds, charlie tillie, reece errser, my year 9 science teacher, psuedo leftists, psuedo intellectuals hitler and my little sister etc. on my list of hated people.
  4. Susurrus
    Susurrus
    Blind obedience to Any Nard. Cultists known as Randroids.
  5. Comrade_Stalin
    Comrade_Stalin
    It may be more like inverse Marxism

In fact I have talked with some people on how see copyed Marx works and put a right wing spin on them.

1. She talk about how the poor live off the rich, just like how Marx tell us how the rich live off the poor.

2. She is athiest, when everone around her supports the believe in god. I think that see copied Marx athieism, with out understanding why he was athiest.
  6. Comrade_Stalin
    Comrade_Stalin
    I actually don't have much experience with it. I know that a lot of people like her personality of ME I'm awesome, helping others is crap type of bs. Is there any more detail on her cult?
    The one thing about cults is that they will always make weak and useless examples that can be easly countered.

For example in Ayn Rand book, there a story about a steel maker who makes a new type of steel. The goverment in the books break up the factory so there will not be a monopoly which follow the iedals of Adam Smith , in that all monoploy are bad. In this Ayn Rand example Adam Smith is the bad guy.

But you can turn this on it head with an eaxmple of you own, let say that someone steal the information on the new type of steel and then starts producing it them selfs. Any Rand cult works on the ideal that all goverment and all it does is bad. Therefor the goverment would be wrong in stoping thieves from produing some else ideal.
  7. ColonelCossack
    ColonelCossack
    It may be more like inverse Marxism

In fact I have talked with some people on how see copyed Marx works and put a right wing spin on them.
    so like hegel

except time's backwards?
  8. Comrade_Stalin
    Comrade_Stalin
    so like hegel

except time's backwards?
    In a way you can see that she try to put here work as a anti-poor platform, not understanding that Marx work is pro-union. This leads here to put a anti-govermtn spin instead, while keeping here anti-poor platform.
  9. Railyon
    Ayn Rand?

More like Ay'm Dumb, amirite

No Rand nutters where I live, but have the questionable honor of having to work with one in an internet work group revolving around completely non-political issues so it kind of works as long as he doesn't start rambling about nanny states or how "fat people abuse the health care system"
  10. Rafiq
    Rafiq
    It's not an inverse of Marxism at all. It's an inverse of another psuedo Intellectual, Sergey Nachayev.
  11. Geiseric
    Geiseric
    It's more like libertarianism on steroids with a whole lot of capitalist utopianism. Libertarianism (ron paul, american i mean) is capitalist utopian anyways. But ayn randism is basically saying that the people who die in genocides in Congo do so and are poor because they're lazy.
  12. NoahZoahaar
    Randism is condensed Fascism. Instead of supporting a fascist state, Randists (and right-wing libertarians) glorify the cult of private and corporate power. In fact, in her diaries, Ayn Rand gushed over her hero, a serial killer who kidnapped, mutilated, and murdered a young girl, as she said that this man did not live for anyone else, and was above the group and society. Her entire oeuvre is dedicated to worshiping the fascistic power of the individual over society, the power of the "strong" over the "weak", and the rich over the poor. In fact, in a way, the society she envisions is far more evil than Fascism, for most fascist states at least put on a false face for being for "the people" (they of course were not, but had to keep up the charade to keep power), but in a Randist society, there would be nothing to constrain the power of fascist individuals and corporations, who could exploit people as they wished. This line of thinking eventually led to the bastardized version of Anarchism known as Anarcho-Capitalism, a festering, brutal hellhole of an ideology if there ever was one.
  13. The Intransigent Faction
    The Intransigent Faction
    The one thing about cults is that they will always make weak and useless examples that can be easly countered.

For example in Ayn Rand book, there a story about a steel maker who makes a new type of steel. The goverment in the books break up the factory so there will not be a monopoly which follow the iedals of Adam Smith , in that all monoploy are bad. In this Ayn Rand example Adam Smith is the bad guy.

But you can turn this on it head with an eaxmple of you own, let say that someone steal the information on the new type of steel and then starts producing it them selfs. Any Rand cult works on the ideal that all goverment and all it does is bad. Therefor the goverment would be wrong in stoping thieves from produing some else ideal.
    Not entirely true, I think. Doesn't she support leaving the police and military in state hands?

Anyway, I might expand on this later, but the "cult of Ayn Rand" treats her as some groundbreaking philosopher who supposedly proved that "a free market is a corollary of a free mind".

Readers are presented with some premises vague enough to be valid (i.e. reason is good, A is A") right next to poorly thought out arguments. The greatest irony is that she drones on about the existence of an objective external reality, and then goes on to ignore material conditions in her version of human history, in which a few individuals "choose" to exercise reason, setting them apart from the so-called "human ballast" (i.e. "unskilled labourers"). She compares these individuals to Atlas, who you may know is the god in Greek mythology who was said to hold up the globe. Rand directly targets alienated bourgeois or petty bourgeois individuals and calls on them to use their reason to innovate and get ahead in a capitalist market---in short, to spend their lives with the sole, cold, restless purpose of the selfish pursuit of advantage in a capitalist market (to be the proverbial "Atlas"es).

In short, its cultish because it encourages (ironically) the stunting of reason, and an endless pursuit of some divine status as a capitalist titan. When you treat selfishness as a virtue as she does, you'll perpetually disappoint yourself until you can convince yourself that you got where you are in life all on your own, in spite of, rather than because of, association with other people.
  14. The Intransigent Faction
    The Intransigent Faction

Not entirely true, I think. Doesn't she support leaving the police and military in state hands?

Anyway, I might expand on this later, but the "cult of Ayn Rand" treats her as some groundbreaking philosopher who supposedly proved that "a free market is a corollary of a free mind".

Readers are presented with some premises vague enough to be valid (i.e. reason is good, A is A") right next to poorly thought out arguments. The greatest irony is that she drones on about the existence of an objective external reality, and then goes on to ignore material conditions in her version of human history, in which a few individuals "choose" to exercise reason, setting them apart from the so-called "human ballast" (i.e. "unskilled labourers"). She compares these individuals to Atlas, who you may know is the god in Greek mythology who was said to hold up the globe. Rand directly targets alienated bourgeois or petty bourgeois individuals and calls on them to use their reason to innovate and get ahead in a capitalist market---in short, to spend their lives with the sole, cold, restless purpose of the selfish pursuit of advantage in a capitalist market (to be the proverbial "Atlas"es).

In short, its cultish because it encourages (ironically) the stunting of reason, and an endless pursuit of some divine status as a capitalist titan. When you treat selfishness as a virtue as she does, you'll perpetually disappoint yourself until you can convince yourself that you got where you are in life all on your own, in spite of, rather than because of, association with other people.
  15. Positivist
    Positivist
    I think that she encourages the privatization of the military and police actually.
  16. Камо́ Зэд
    Камо́ Зэд
    One of the reasons Objectivism has presented such a frustrating obstacle to progress in the United States is that Ayn Rand's philosophy isn't a coherent, self-consistent theoretical framework in the same way that Marxism is. In the realm of metaphysics, Rand asserted an objective reality. Her epistemological assertions, however, contradict modern physics, particularly the Heisenberg uncertainty principle with regards to Rand's notion that any given thing can be known to any arbitrary level of precision with no room for subjectivity. Objectivists will argue back something about modern science being based on "Kantian assumptions" and already the name of the philosophy is grossly inappropriate. Ethically, Objectivism is contradicted by evolutionary biology that has demonstrated humanity's altruistic instincts as a mechanism for survival. According to Rand and Objectivists, all forms of altruism are inherently immoral and irrational, regardless whether acts of altruism were done of one's own perfectly free volition. In this system of ethics, if it can be called that, each individual is the sole source of value in that individual's universe. This directly contradicts the notion of an objective and absolutely non-subjective reality; there cannot be more than one sole source of value in a shared objective universe. However, unless the person in question is very familiar with developed Objectivism, rather than having associated himself with the philosophy or Ayn Rand out of sheer reaction against social liberalism and perceived Marxism, one isn't likely to find much more in a debate with such a person beyond the superiority of laissez-faire capitalism to any other given socioeconomic system, very much in spite of evidence to the contrary. This is why Ayn Rand has become such a darling of Usonian reaction, despite "conservatives" neither sharing in Rand's unskilled philosophical appropriations nor adopting her atheistic attitudes. That, and I very much doubt any prominent Usonian politician has made it all the way through anyone of her novels (which I suspect weren't meant so much to be read as they were to anchor ships during storms).
  17. Comrade_Stalin
    Comrade_Stalin

and you just help me prove that she is easly countered, thought you could of use example for her story.
  18. PetyaRostov
    PetyaRostov
    I found her to be Anarcho Hyper-Capitalist (and she says contradictions do not exist)
    She not only claims the Alturism is immoral but asserts that selfish behavior under social darwinism is virtuous.