Questions regarding DM

1. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    So after reading Joseph Stalin's "Dialectical and Historical Materialism", 3 questions arose for me. I am trying to grasp DM as best as I can, so I want to clarify a few things and want anyone's help.

1. What did Stalin mean when by a "universal spirit." The quote in particular I am referring to is this, "The world develops in accordance with the laws of movement of matter and stands in no need of a 'universal spirit.'" I think he is talking about religion and how religion/spirituality/mysticism/superstitions is unnecessary and, basically, stupid.

2. Is there a DM approach to Thomas Aquinas' theory of an original mover? My immediate reactions to this argument from Christians is that it is circular. "Who created that mover, then?" And so it just keeps going into a circle. I'm wondering if there is, in particular, a DM refute against this argument that is easy to pull out in debate with a Christian.

3. I'm wondering if my ideas of consciousness, idealism, and materialism are correct.

Idealism says that consciousness exists on its own and even goes as far as to say that it is the only thing that exists. That is, as Descartes though, life is just our senses perceiving things and our consciousness responding to it.

Materialism says this is ridiculous because consciousness scientifically comes from our brains, material organs. That is, material existence comes first and then consciousness comes second.

From my notes I wrote as I read the work:

Idealism says that only our consciousness is what exists, which sounds silly reading it and writing it down. Our consciousness is only in existence because it is in our brain, a material organ. The world is all material. We only have consciousness because of the material existence of our brains. Idealism has it the other way around, that matter exists because of consciousness. Hence that crap about 'souls.' Matter is primary. Consciousness is secondary. The world is matter moving. The rubber band theory is a scientific proof of this. When you get really into it, all existence is just atoms moving. Energy going from place to place. That is all it is. That is the whole universe. Atomic theory, physics, chemistry, and geology can prove this.

Any responses, answers, and help are much appreciated.
  2. ColonelCossack
    ColonelCossack
    From what I've read in different texts I've had similar impressions of those definitions of Materialism and Idealism; but I'm not entirely sure.

I keep meaning to read that particular work.
  3. Sixiang
    Sixiang
    I posted that so long ago. Honestly, reading Mao has really helped me better understand dialectical materialism. I suggest reading his five essays on philosophy: On Practice, On Contradiction, On the Correct Handling of Contradictions Among the People, Where do Correct Ideas Come From?, and Speech on Propoganda Work.
  4. kasama-rl
    kasama-rl
    There are a number of differences between Mao and Stalin on these matters.

First, Mao (like lenin) emphasizes that dialectics is not some constellation of principles but the central insight that dynamic changes comes from the contradiction within and between things.

Second, Mao, in particular, thinks that negation of the negation is not a law of matter.
  5. Workers-Control-Over-Prod
    Workers-Control-Over-Prod
    The 'universal spirit' refers to the Hegelian idea of an ideal which is universal. This is irrelevant as there are certain objective material conditions are already universal.