If you believe in nihilism, isn't that a contradiction?

1. MarxSchmarx
    MarxSchmarx
    Is Nihilism true? But doesn't this belie the claim that there is no objective truth?

Should we live life as though there were no objective moral claims? But doesn't this contradict the claim thather is no way we should live life by?
    So how can anyone seriously support the nihilist world view?
  2. Os Cangaceiros
    Os Cangaceiros
    i don't think that it's supposed to be a real philosophy concerned w/ concepts like "truth" (at least, not in the way some insurrectionaries classify themselves as "nihilists"), as much as it is an expression of desperation at the current state of things vis-a-vis revolution & the left.

In other words they look at the leadership of the left (and really the left in-and-of itself) and see nothing worth liking. Yet they also despise capitalism and the system they exist in. So they embrace what Herzen said a long time ago (paraphrasing): "We are not interested in creation, only destruction."
  3. 00000000000
    Nihilism is just the name given to a lack of belief, it's not the the title of thesis or manifesto or a bible book. You don't 'believe' in it, you just are it
  4. ∞
    Is Atheism a religion?
  5. Grenzer
    Grenzer
    No, I wouldn't say so; but I would say that it is a belief(as opposed to a non-belief, which its adherents claim it is).
  6. Czy
    Czy
    I know this was posted ages ago, but no one addressed it in 3 years . . .

Should we live life as though there were no objective moral claims? But doesn't this contradict the claim thather is no way we should live life by?
    I'll address your entire post here. Nihilists can have values like any other person. Humans normally have the need to express themselves. By being a nihilist, they are not giving up that value, they are just realizing that their values are dependent on their own minds only, and therefore their values/morals are subjective.

Nihilists have morals, values and motivation like everyone else. They just realize that not all of us have the same morals, and values.

The nihilist realizes that, value is in the eye of the beholder. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. There is no invisible price tag on everything that determines the value of anything.

Another way to look at this, nihilists don’t believe that there is some invisible, objective morality in the sky guiding humans down on earth. Instead, they see that morality is dependent on the human who defines them, and independent of the external world. Perhaps the moral views of all humans are only similar because of evolution; we have evolved to have certain values in order to survive.

Contact me for more info if you like. Regards
  7. Alexey Sobelsohn
    Alexey Sobelsohn
    I don't 'believe' with Nihilism, I just agree with some nihilist doctrines.

The revolutionary despises public opinion. He despises and hates the existing social
    morality in all its manifestations. For him, morality is everything which contributes to
    the triumph of the revolution. Immoral and criminal is everything that stands in its way.