reflections about national identity

1. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    This is a small reflexion I wrote about national identity for a blog. It doesnt has exactly a "class struggle" turn, although I have written a few articles about it in my group's blog. I just tried to write about national identity from a personal perspective, and tried to debunk the old conservative argument that "communists only care about materialism"- I suppose it is related to left communism insofar that it rejects nationalism in its entirety.

I always hear about anti-globalizationists and conservatives that the erosion of cultures and tradition by capitalism is a bad thing. I personally think its a good thing.

-------------------------------------
    "Identity is a dream pathetic in its absurdity. You dream of being yourself when you've nothing better to do." -Baudrillard.

It is a shame so many people dream about fossils--colorful pasts that remind men that they are more dead than ever. The dead-weight of national identity pulls generations into a giant black hole--a hole with an immense gravitational force that makes it impossible for men to turn their heads towards the sky.

The old russian nihilists were 50 percent correct: destruction is a joyful, creative passion, but only because in it lies the potential of a new world. Conservatives get alarmed because tradition and morality are being swept by the same hand that killed God. However, we people that hold a new world in our heart, should celebrate this nihilism, in so far that it is pre-revolutionary.

From left to right, we hear the same boring song of the nationalist martyr: "embrace tradition, embrace nations, protect your identity!". This "identity" is a very sad obituary--because only those in the graveland live in the memories of the past. My grandfather is already dead, his only "living place" is in my memory; it would be really pathetic that all my everyday decisions were subordinated to this memory. To base one's politics and ideology from "national obituaries" is the sad tale of a humanity unable to embrace its own creativity--its own capability of creation and destruction. If the meaning of my life was totally posessed by the dead memory of the "glorious Mexicatl", I might as well chug a bottle of benzos with a half gallon of vodka.

A famous nazi said once: "When I hear the word culture, I reach for my revolver". I also say the same thing, I also reach for my revolver--but only to shoot culture until it falls dead.
  2. Entrails Konfetti
    Entrails Konfetti
    Reminds me about this thing called "Diversity" that mostly liberal politicians force feed students. No one really knows what it means, except, maybe corporations when it means tax breaks for hiring minorities, or selling towards ethnic backgrounds.

The actions of diversity tend to maintain cultures, as opposed to the idea of one country one culture. But through the maintance of culture, as do stereotypes-- person from such and such culture behaves like this, or like that. When in reality they don't fit this perfect description.
  3. chimx
    chimx
    I don't follow the jump from attacks on national identity to attacks on culture. Cultures don't just change at a countries borders.
  4. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    I don't follow the jump from attacks on national identity to attacks on culture. Cultures don't just change at a countries borders.
    well it was more an attack on the nationalist conception of culture (i.e. protect your culture etc), not an attack on the collective literary and artistic merits of the world.
  5. chimx
    chimx
    I mean regional cultures. I imagine that people from northern Mexico and southern Mexico are as different as people from the eastern US and the western US. Are you saying this regionalism is bad too?
  6. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    I mean regional cultures. I imagine that people from northern Mexico and southern Mexico are as different as people from the eastern US and the western US. Are you saying this regionalism is bad too?
    the left communist tirade against national liberation goes beyond nation-states, but any politicized movement based on some concept of "nation",, including regionalism. kurdistan is not really a nation state, but the PKK is fundamentally reactionary etc.

i am not against regionalism perse, only mad people are against that. what i am against however, is a cohesive political and ideological movement based around it
  7. chimx
    chimx
    Oh, of course. Culture used as a justification for nationalism or regionalism is certainly negative, but is it always such? Your attack, though poetic, seems to try to take it to an extreme.
  8. black magick hustla
    black magick hustla
    Oh, of course. Culture used as a justification for nationalism or regionalism is certainly negative, but is it always such? Your attack, though poetic, seems to try to take it to an extreme.
    if culture means, again, the collective succeses in literature, art, architecture, etc then its not bad, but i think its counterproductive to place too much emphasis on it as a regional identity.
  9. Entrails Konfetti
    Entrails Konfetti
    I don't like the notion that culture is ever stagnant, and can be pigeon-holed, which is the idea behind "Diversity", and the "melting pot". The melting pot says everyone merges and melts this way. Diversity says everyone has different national-identities and doesn't change.