Recommended Readings for the study of strategy

1. Struggle
    Struggle
    Due to the economic role of the United States, most contemporary books written on the subject of strategy, are particularly right-wing, to say the least. However, as one should already know, and as somebody interested in strategy, one of the most effective methods to outsmart ones enemy, is first to understand him. Learning how ones enemy shall act, will enable oneself to outsmart ones enemy much more easily. As Sun Zhu stated;

“All Warfare is based on deception”.

Please feel free to request more books be added to this section. I highlighted four strategy books I especially recommend, all of which have been widely accredited.

Sun Zhu: The Art of War
    The Art of War, along with On War, are probably the two books written on the subject of strategy received with the most credit, and should be studied by strategists as recommended readings.
    The translation pursued by Samuel B. Griffith, whom also translated 'On Guerrilla Warfare' by Mao Tse Tung, is a particularly accredited, and in my opinion, a well-written translation. This translation is also focused on the books original subject meaning- ‘military strategy'; as opposed to many other translations which were written for the use of ‘Business strategy’, unfortunately.

Carl von Clausewitz: On War
    As mentioned above, the On War is renowned and accepted as a great thesis on the subject of strategy.
    The thesis put forward by Clausewitz that; ‘War is merely the continuation of politics by other means’, though probably quite simple, had an effect on both strategists and academics alike. The quote is still widely used to date.
    I purchased the translation released by the publisher; Oxford World Classics, after reading it was a much easier to read translation, as opposed to others.

Mao Tse Tung: On Guerrilla Warfare
    Whether one agrees or disagrees with the politics put forward Mao Tse Tung, it is irrelevant when it comes to the theories Mao Tse Tung put forward in reference to strategy and the application of war.
    Mao Tse Tung is widely regarded by academics as a genius in the subject of guerrilla warfare, and should be read by all strategists.
    I particularly recommend for this book, again, the translation offered by Samuel B. Griffith, whom, as a former Major General of the US Army, offers an objective yet likeable introduction to the book.

Robert Taber: War of the Flea - The Classic Study of Guerrilla Warfare
    In my opinion, a fantastic study on the subject of guerrilla warfare.
    His concluding analysis on Guerrilla Warfare had a effective impact on me formulating my understanding of the guerrilla, and guerrilla warfare as a whole. Robert Taber states as follows;

“The Guerrilla fights the war of the flea, and his military enemy suffers the dog’s disadvantages: too much to defend, ubiquitous, and agile an enemy to come to grips with”
  2. Acostak3
    Acostak3
    I finished reading Brave New War a couple of weeks ago. It's along the same lines of War of the Flea (from your description, atleast), but incorporates network theory and other subjects along the same line. I'd be curious to know your opinion of it.
  3. Red Bayonet
    Surprised not to see B H Lidell Hart's "Strategy of the Indirect Approach" listed.
  4. Brosa Luxemburg
    Brosa Luxemburg
    People's War People's Army by Vo Nguyen Giap.