Any updates?

1. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    I'm curious- now with the Venezuelan elections past, does Chavez intend to advance with plans to form this body?
  2. Q
    Q
    Good question.

I doubt it though. When he first announced the initiative, there was a lot of momentum behind it. A year later though, much of this has dissipated and popular enthusiasm for a major project like this isn't something you just switch on and off. I expect a much more weary stance of workers to this now.

Incidentally, the IMT already exclaimed total support for Chavez' project back in early March. Don't they look like fools now
  3. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    If that is the case, then what's the potential of the International Commission of Die Linke, or is it engaged in other fraternal political work?
  4. Q
    Q
    If that is the case, then what's the potential of the International Commission of Die Linke, or is it engaged in other fraternal political work?
    Many parties have an international commission, without having the intention of building an international. What are Die Linke's intentions?
  5. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    I hope it isn't this:

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2010/ju...left-j07.shtml

Because of its traditional anti-Americanism, and especially under conditions of a growing conflict between the USA and Germany, the Left Party could play an important role in the reorientation of German foreign policy.

Notable in this regard is the announcement that Oskar Lafontaine, just weeks after his second retirement from federal politics, will take over the presidency of a newly created “International Commission” of the Left Party, as an “advisory body of the party leadership”. Lafontaine is tasked with “developing proposals for international policy” and preparing the “decisions, positions of the party leadership and activities within the international relations of the party.”
    If they referred to the wrong person as having said that the USPD was "an outstanding role model" etc. (Bartsch didn't write it after all), then there's hope the WSWS slander article is wrong.
  6. Q
    Q
    I don't really get how that quote is slander?
  7. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    I was thinking about it in that way too Q. The enthusiasm behind all this pretty much dissipated, and with Chavez looking more inwards to threats to his regime, it would be difficult to establish.

It's a shame though, considering the international economic crisis and how many governments have responded to it, this should have been the perfect climate for such a group to be realised.
  8. Die Neue Zeit
    Die Neue Zeit
    I don't really get how that quote is slander?
    I think the key words, comrade, are "notable in this regard." You yourself said there's nothing more about the role of the IC than what numerous articles before the WSWS article said. The WSWS article and I perhaps have gone to two extremes, one jumping on "the reorientation of German foreign policy," the other on a new International.