Updates

1. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    I'm thinking of what to do next, but in between work and uni I've not had a chance to really sit down and look at the writings.

The other problem is that with out discussion these amount to nothing more than summaries. More over with the hostility of some vocal members on this forum to anything Gramsci related, the atmosphere is not as open as I wished on the forum to the concept.

In short I may simply disband the group if nothing comes of it. With no participation it's really more of a waste of space.
  2. Volcanicity
    Volcanicity
    I hope you don't disband the group,I've only recently started seriously reading Gramsci-or rather the meagre amount available on MIA-so most of what I know I've learnt from this group.I dont think you'll get any hostility from the members who have joined,so hopefully you'll keep the group going and don't get discouraged.
  3. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    No, the users are not hostile. They are open minded, or they wouldn't be in here. I'm referring to the atmosphere of revleft as awhole towards it. There seems to be an antipathy nearing what one would expect from the defenders of a cult of personality to attack any of their idol's rivals or figures, but it is more widespread than I thought.

I would also want to see some discussion and talk, but if it is helping you at least then I will continue for a bit longer.

I'm sorry I can't provide much in the way of reading beyond the .pdf file. The translator for Gramsci's stuff, Quintin Hoare, did allow for parts of his book to be freely available on Marxists.org, but his publisher stepped in and halted it.
  4. Volcanicity
    Volcanicity
    The .pdf file you provided has been a great help thank's for posting it.As I said i'm still new to Gramsci's writing's so anything you or anyone in this group can provide will be much appreciated.It's just a shame that there's more available about Gramsci's writing on-line than the actual writings themselves.
  5. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    Copyright strikes again, I suppose.
  6. svenne
    svenne
    I would love to help, but the bloody time just keeps disappearing. However, it maybe would be a good idea to read a shorter Gramsci text and just post thoughts, quotes and stuff like that. Something in the 20 pages span.
    An example would be "The intellectuals". In The Gramsci Reader (i know it's possible to download the whole thing somewhere, in worst case i could upload the .pdf myself) it's starts on page 300, and in Selections from the Prison Notebooks it starts at page 1.
  7. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    I'm just going article by article. The longest they tend to be is 12 pages, even shorter in some cases, in the neighborhood of 2 or three pages.
  8. Volcanicity
    Volcanicity
    Thank's for the help.I'm just starting to get through the Gramsci reader and I'll follow both of your advice.As has been said trying to find time enough to seriously concentrate on reading is hard,but I'll try to post when I can.
  9. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    Well, I don't have any qualms towards you guys- if you are in here, you are willing to learn. It's just hard for me to continue doing so with the sectarian nonsense outside this group.
  10. Volcanicity
    Volcanicity
    Yes I can understand that I've only been here since the beginning of August and I'm already weary of it.As soon as I can find the time to read for a decent amount of time I'll post as often as I can,all the other members who have posted so far in the group are way ahead of me concerning Gramsci and his writings so you'll have to bear with me. Hopefully if we can all find the time we can keep the group going.
  11. Red Commissar
    Red Commissar
    I mean more that I guess I'm going through my own version of a "zomg anarcho-trot conspiracy", but not involving anarchists or trots.

If I know you guys are at least reading then I will continue, as long as someone is interested beyond the sectarian stuff outside.
  12. communard71
    communard71
    Continue please, I read what you post and I'm still working through his work. I would like shorter sections with more questions we can discuss.