Zeitgeist Addendum

1. Dimentio
    The international technocratic movement have gained a powerful boost of the film Zeitgeist Addendum which advocates the technocratic movement The Venus Project. That has also given positive by-effects for NET, and the Zeitgeist Movement already have over 11.000 members.

Technocracy is on the advance again, on a real broad front. This is really happy.
  2. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    That's good to hear. I assume "The Venus Project" has nothing to do with terraforming Venus?

Wasn't Technocracy quite popular during the Depression? Maybe current economic conditions are a contributing factor...
  3. piet11111
    piet11111
    makes sense people are looking into alternative economic systems that do not have the anarchy of the free market.
  4. al8
    I watched the whole movie. It's anti-nuclear. It was doggy in other respects, such as frasing the abolision of a monitary economy for a 'recource based economy' to be some sort of spiritual transformation into true oneness, and that sort of crap. It falsely associates communism as an monitary based economy - I think it's a sloppy use of language to do so. Their guide to action is on some points very vague. But when they give clear points it is when they advise reformist and symbolic mesures to 'combat the problem'.

The good parts are where the framework, problemsolving ethic, and implications of a possible none-monitary based economy is explained.
  5. Yazman
    Yazman
    There are definitely some good points about this Zeitgeist Addendum however I see some clear problems with it also. There is a very definite promotiom of some sort of bizarre new age spirituality as mentioned above by al8 and this comes in the form of the adoption of a new economic framework being seen as some sort of spiritual event or transformation.

This film would have had a stronger message if it lacked this element, I believe. It "threw me off" quite a bit.
  6. Yazman
    Yazman
    http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/ is the link by the way, in case you were wondering about the original link provided not working.
  7. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    I agree, it would be better without the spiritual crap. But the stuff I saw on the website at least was so vague and cloudy, I thought perhaps that they just added it as an extra "hook" to get the people are into spiritual mumbo-jumbo interested. But then I took a look at the forums. Oh boy.

They have a "philosophy and religion" subforum which would be forgivable in itself, were it not for the content - it's filled with the worst sort of crap.

They lose further respect in my eyes for being anti-nuclear.
  8. Technocrat
    Technocrat
    Well, we don't really need nuclear power at all if we use solar thermal plants and store the energy using molten salt. Cult of Reason has pointed this out.

The Zeitgeist movement might wind up doing more harm than good to the movement, by blending in elements of spirituality that will drive away more serious members, who might actually have something to contribute.
  9. welshboy
    welshboy
    But nuclear power is clean and has the potential to allow the entire world to consume Western European levels of energy with little to no environmental impact. The use of Thorium, an abundant material that can't be manufactured into bombs, power stations would mean millenia of free power.
    That Zeigeist stuff is a load of old mince. I've not seen addendum but the first movie was pants. We don't need whacked out hippies involved in the campaign for a rational world as they are far from rational and tend to have the critical faculties of your average fundie.
  10. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    Well, we don't really need nuclear power at all if we use solar thermal plants and store the energy using molten salt. Cult of Reason has pointed this out.
    Actually, nuclear power would still have it's uses even if we were to implement the system you describe - you can't exactly power a high-capacity cargo ship with solar power or batteries, and fuel oil is pollutive and depleting rapidly.

Doubtless there will be plenty of other applications that require a relatively compact energy source of high output and density.

Also, unlike most other fuels, fissionables can be effectively recycled via reprocessing.

The Zeitgeist movement might wind up doing more harm than good to the movement, by blending in elements of spirituality that will drive away more serious members, who might actually have something to contribute.
    I agree. In my experience many atheists and other freethinkers seek a more rational society and would be turned off by spiritualistic drivel.
  11. Dimentio
    Yes. That is good. Then these people will go into the technocratic movements.