Arguments for Anthropocentrism

1. Red October
    Red October
    What are some good arguments for anthropocentrism for use against animal liberation folks? I've been engaging more with local anarchists and found a disturbing number of primitivists, so any help y'all could give me would be really helpful.
  2. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    How about the fact that the universe is completely indifferent to the fate of our species?

That while we create messes, we are the only species that can also fix them?

That what's good for our species is ultimately good for the individual?
  3. Red October
    Red October
    Anything more detailed than that?
  4. Yazman
    Yazman
    We have some good debate threads with animal lib folks over in the science & environment forum. I think their position is quite ridiculous:

They often argue that the production of meat is what causes famine in the third world and that if we halted this production we could then redistribute the grains fed to livestock. The problem is that most of those grains fed to livestock are not the same grains used to create food for humans and that much of that is not edible. This is also not to mention that the problem with food is not that there "isn't enough for everybody", it's really just an issue of distribution and economics in the third world (luxury production economies do not really allow for self-sustainability). Animal lib people are woefully misguided when it comes to the distribution and production of food issues.
  5. BootOnFace
    BootOnFace
    The best argument for me is that we're the only species that can protect this planet from asteroids and comets, thus we can appropriate our needs above that of the rest of the ecosystem. Also the sentience and culture things.
  6. Positivist
    Positivist
    I'd just go with we are humans and we should act in the interests of humans. That doesn't mean kill all the animals, because obviously that would not be in human interests.

Also you can still enjoy the companionship of animals, but just because you loved your puppy doesn't mean that someone else who doesn't really care for puppies shouldn't be allowed to consume them to a reasonable extent.

Sorry if the puppy example offends anyone.
  7. Anglo-Saxon Philistine
    Eating puppies is horrible. Or maybe I'm just a bad cook.

Anyway, I think the burden of proof is not on us - humans already tend to value other humans more than they value nonhuman animals. This is not incompatible with attaching certain value to nonhuman animals, but the animal liberationists want people to attach an equal or similar value to humans and nonhuman animals, and they should provide good reasons why we should do so.