SETI starts more targeted search for ET

1. piet11111
    piet11111
    targeted search for possible civilizations enhances the chances of finding one, in the same way that a search for a needle in a haystack is made easier if one knows at least approximately where the needle was dropped, said Henry, who is speaking about the proposal at the American Astronomical Society annual meeting in St. Louis.

According to the researchers, the critical place to look is in the ecliptic, a great circle around the sky that represents the plane of Earth's orbit. The sun, as viewed from Earth, appears annually to pass along this circle. Any civilization that lies within a fraction of a degree of the ecliptic could annually detect Earth passing in front of the sun. This ecliptic band comprises only about 3 percent of the sky.
    "If those civilizations are out there – and we don't know that they are – those that inhabit star systems that lie close to the plane of the Earth's orbit around the sun will be the most motivated to send communications signals toward Earth," Henry said, "because those civilizations will surely have detected our annual transit across the face of the sun, telling them that Earth lies in a habitable zone, where liquid water is stable. Through spectroscopic analysis of our atmosphere, they will know that Earth likely bears life.

"Knowing where to look tremendously reduces the amount of radio telescope time we will need to conduct the search," he said.
    "The crucial implication is that this targeted search in a favored part of the sky -- the ecliptic stripe, if you will – may provide us with significantly better prospects for detecting extraterrestrials than has any previous search effort," Kilston said.

Ray Villard of the Space Telescope Science Institute, who will join the team in its observations, said that in November 2001, STScI publicized Hubble Space Telescope observations of a transiting planet and "it occurred to me that alien civilizations along the ecliptic would likely be doing similar observations to Earth."

"Once they had determined Earth to be habitable, they might initiate sending signals," Villard said.
    i am a bit surprised they did not think of this earlier.
  2. Raúl Duke
    Raúl Duke
    Interesting...

i am a bit surprised they did not think of this earlier.
    I agree...especially since earlier they would have had more funding for space programs. Does Russia, etc participate in SETI/have their own program.
  3. Hyacinth
    Hyacinth
    Does Russia, etc participate in SETI/have their own program.
    SETI is primarily an academic endeavour, and though it did in the early days receive some funding from the US government, I believe that today most of the funding is from private sources (mostly universities). As such, I don’t see why Russian academics interested in SETI wouldn’t participate in it, there are no prohibitions, though I don’t know if any are (it wouldn’t surprise me). As for Russia having a SETI-like program of its own, to the best of my knowledge no.
  4. al8
    I know that spectroscopic analysis that have shown methane to be in the atmosphere, have been mader more possible canditates to have life on them. Since methane is not yet known to come from any other process then a biochemical one. Mars dose have some significant amount of methane. A space mission was launch to check this out. (I'm to lazy to find the link)

If there is some kind of biochemical live (small bacteria or such) that gives strong further evidence that other planets with much methane must contain life. Thusly useful a spectroscopic analysis hint as where to look.