Esperanto

1. Weezer
    Weezer
    I realize there's already a Esperanto group, but has anybody in this group try to learn Esperanto? It's quite easy, with no grammatical corruptions or exceptions. It also helps learning another language.

Ĉu vi paroli Esperanto?
  2. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    I dont know too much about esperanto, but one of the things that keeps me learnign another language is the chance to move or visit a place that speaks it, or to enjoy speaking to people in another language.

I dont think you really get that with Esperanto?
  3. samofshs
    samofshs
    what is esperanto? and where could one learn it?
  4. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    what is esperanto? and where could one learn it?
    Esperanto is one of the most famous artificial languages. Invented by a guy calle Zamenhof in the late 1800s as an attempt to make a new international language. It got some recognition by some international organisations but im not sure that still stands.

By would all means be considered totally extict, except that it has never fulfilled a livign criteria. I think it's total speakers internationally are around 200. More people speak Cornish or Manx...
  5. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    Apparenylu you can learn it in weeks though :

The Institute of Cybernetic Pedagogy at Paderborn (Germany) has compared the length of study time it takes Francophone high school students to obtain comparable 'standard' levels in Esperanto, English, German, and Italian.[33] The results were:

• 2000 hours studying German =
    • 1500 hours studying English =
    • 1000 hours studying Italian =
    • 150 hours studying Esperanto.
  6. samofshs
    samofshs
    so where could i learn such a language? i think it would come in handy in traveling being that it's so easy for people to pick up.
  7. samofshs
    samofshs
    lernu.net damn! it IS easy!!!!!
  8. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    Yea but you will probably never meet another person who speaks it.
  9. samofshs
    samofshs
    unless i go to meetings or follow through with my career in outdoor leadership. and it will be useful if somebody speaks just about any european language too.
  10. Weezer
    Weezer
    Learning Esperanto helps you with other languages. There are Esperanto organizations who have meetings regularly. NATIVE Esperanto speakers, those raised in an Esperanto speaking home numbers to about 200 to 1000. About 10,000,000 have studied the language at some time(According to Wikipedia).
  11. el_chavista
    el_chavista
    Learning Esperanto helps you with other languages. ..
    Now a day English is the universal language. If you want to learn other languages, choose one of a group ("nordisk", latin, etc). If you learn Danish, for instance, then you'll also have a huge vocabulary for Swedish and Norwegian. If you select Spanish, then you'll have a huge vocabulary for Portuguese, French, Italian and even Romanian too.
  12. samofshs
    samofshs
    actually english isn't the international language, amerikkka just enjoys pushing it on everyone else and having people assume that it is. besides i'm a scout and baden-powell (our founder in amerikkka) suggested that scouts learn it. i'm sure other scouts do.
  13. leftace53
    leftace53
    i'd want to learn it just to go around asking everyone i ever meet if they know it.
  14. samofshs
    samofshs
    also a benefit XD
  15. Rotenstern
    Rotenstern
    More than a billion speakers world wide, and still growing. I think English is the international language. It isn't something that the US, like so many others, pushes on other nations. They do it of their own accord.
  16. Q
    Q
    More than a billion speakers world wide, and still growing. I think English is the international language. It isn't something that the US, like so many others, pushes on other nations. They do it of their own accord.
    Different era's have known different lingua franca's. In fact, when that particular term was coined, French was still considered the dominant language, a position they held up to World War 2. In the communist movement up until the mid-1920's German was considered the standard, before it was replaced by Russian.

I'm sure the world post-revolution will seek another language for international matters, a neutral and easy to learn language like Esperanto is an obvious choice.
  17. Lolshevik
    Lolshevik
    I realize there's already a Esperanto group, but has anybody in this group try to learn Esperanto? It's quite easy, with no grammatical corruptions or exceptions. It also helps learning another language.

Ĉu vi paroli Esperanto?
    Jes, mi parolas esperanton, sed mi ne parolas gxin tre bone. mi ne studis gxin en multa da tempo.