In his own words: Marx on commodity fetishism

1. automattick
    automattick
    In Chapter 1, Section 4 of Capital, Marx explains to us the what commodity fetishism is. While Marx goes in to considerable detail, I thought it would be helpful to pull out some of the more prescient statements he makes in order to better understand what it means. (As I don't want to seem like a lecturer, do posit your own ideas on the issue or how other Marxists have extrapolated on this concept; the more discussion, the more understanding, the more productive the group )

"It is absolutely clear that, by his activity, man changes the forms of the materials of nature in such a way as to make them useful to him. The form of wood, for instance, is altered if a table is made out of it. Nevertheless the table continues to be wood, an ordinary, sensuous thing. But as soon as it emerges as a commodity, it changes into a thing which transcends sensuousness. It not only stands with its feet on the ground, but in relation to all other commodities, it stands on its head, and evolves out of its wooden brain grotesque ideas, far more wonderful than if it were to begin dancing of its own free will."

"The mysterious character of the commodity-form consists therefore simply in the fact that the commodity reflects the social characteristics of men's own labor as objective characteristics of the products of labor themselves, as the socio-natural properties of these things. Hence it also reflects the social relation of the producers to the sum total of labor as a social relation between objects, a relation which exists apart from and outside the producers.*

*I would suggest reading George Lukacs's definition of reification.

"Men do not therefore bring the products of their labor into relation with each other as values because they see these objects merely as the material integuments of homogeneous human labor. The reverse is true: by equating their different products to each other in exchange as values, they equate their different kinds of labor as human labor. They do this without being aware of it."

"If I state that coats or boots stand in a relation to linen because the latter is the universal incarnation of abstract human labor, the absurdity of the statement is self-evident. Nevertheless, when the producers of coats and boots bring these commodities into a relation with linen, or with gold or silver (and this makes no difference here), as the universal equivalent, the relation between their own private labor and the collective labor of society appears to them in exactly this absurd form."

2. Buffalo Souljah
    Interesting subject.
    *I would suggest reading George Lukacs's definition of reification.
    Great suggestion. I had the luck of encountering Lukacs and the Frankfurt School early, thanks to an undergraduate history advisor at my home University. I first read History & Class Consciousness online, at the Internet Marxist Archive, eventually finding a copy at the campus library in town. I've since prcoured my own copy, which I have yet to go through and notate.

The means by commodities become seperated, through consumption, from the process of production of which they are inevtitably a part is a highly integral facet of the Marxist critique of the existing economic system. I find it most highly developed in the writings of Walter Benjamin, especially in the Arcades Project.