Bioconservative is a poor term

1. chimx
    chimx
    I understand that the HPG and others mean it in the political sense, but conservative only began to be used politically in the 19th century, and it comes from the root conserve, which has also been used to develop words such as conservatory, conservationists, etc. It is related to preserve and observe and with a term like bioconservative, you really just get the meaning of preserving life, something that isn't antithetical to human progression.
  2. RedAnarchist
    RedAnarchist
    What would you consider to be a good alternative to the term?
  3. Jazzratt
    Jazzratt
    Biocentric-reactionary or bioreactionary are just silly though.
  4. Sentinel
    Sentinel
    it comes from the root conserve, which has also been used to develop words such as conservatory, conservationists, etc. It is related to preserve and observe and with a term like bioconservative, you really just get the meaning of preserving life, something that isn't antithetical to human progression.
    It is those inclined to preserve their metaphysical concept of 'Nature' intact we are referring to, though. People who wish to preserve, or conserve, the environment in it's so called 'natural' shape rather than mold it according to human needs.
  5. chimx
    chimx
    Ecologists are currently incapable of predicting environmental impacts, especially long-term, on large scale ecological incursion. If preservation of human habitat is going to be a realistic goal of any group that advocates human progression, than these groups need to acknowledge the current limitations of human technology.

I prefer the term "eco-mysticism". I think it is more accurate and more damning
  6. MarxSchmarx
    MarxSchmarx
    There are already terms like luddites, ecofascists, etc... for the nuts out there.

It is those inclined to preserve their metaphysical concept of 'Nature' intact we are referring to, though....
    I prefer the term "eco-mysticism". I think it is more accurate and more damning
    Bioconservatism isn't just about "mysticism." Bioconservatives can also include well-meaning leftists who are simply hesitant to embrace new biotechnologies, particularly GMOs.

Indeed, we shouldn't have a knee-jerk condemnation of bioconservatives. They vocally remind us of the trade-offs and risks we incur from embracing technology in agriculture and medicine. For instance, arguing that monoculture tree plantations should be the solution of last resort to a shortage of forestry products sounds reasonable.

I simply still don't see why it's such a horrible word.