Portugal: Bloco de Esquerda votes for Greek bailout loan

1. redphilly
    redphilly
    The 16 deputies of the Bloco de Esquerda (BE, which the FI section participates in as a tendency) voted to support this bailout which is questionable at least and scandalous at worst. Any idea what the posture of the FI section is to this?

"conditions had to be met by the Greek government before the loan could be approved, as it is clear to everyone. The conditions represent an all out assault on the Greek workers: postponement of the retirement age, wage freezes and cuts, privatizations, increase in indirect taxation, etc."

http://www.marxist.com/portugal-bloc...ek-bailout.htm
  2. Crux
    Crux
    Haha, I was going to ask the same thing. if anybody knows anything I would be glad to know.
  3. redphilly
    redphilly
    It reminds me of Brazil where the section ended up splitting. I'm trying some folks I know in Europe to find out.
  4. Mephisto
    I debated this quite a time with greek comrades from both OKDE-Spartakos and Kokkino on our youth camp and I can only tell, that they were very shocked and also angry about the decision of Bloco.
  5. blake 3:17
    blake 3:17
    Having only read the IMT commentary, I don't feel especially knowledgeable about this particular vote or what it means more broadly.

If we are to engage in electoral politics, we do need to know what we intend, what we're willing to support, what is a deal breaker, etc.

And the deal breaker type questions are often posed at the most difficult times. I've been very impressed with Left Bloc, and have thought they've done the best of any of the regroupment projects.

Edited to add: Going to Parliament is a Devil's Deal.