Technologies of surplus and scarcity

1. chimx
    chimx
    As was mentioned in a previous thread, I think the development of technologies is the best way to eliminate scarcity, but I would like to ask you all how this will effect capitalism.

I've been thinking about it more ever since I heard the news that Madonna has ditched her record label and signed herself to a company that specializes in live show performances. It is a testament to the fact that mp3s are destroying the CD industry by providing a technology that delivers a product not confined by scarcity. The same can be said about the MPAA and its fears (and claims) that file sharing is robbing them of millions and millions of dollars every years. Maybe it seems trivial to some of you, but free data exchange is causing large corporations to scramble to try and pick up the pieces.

But are these examples only viable at dismantling specific industries within capitalism because of their nature -- turning finite commodities into infinite data -- or can further technological advancements from within capitalism undo economies of scarcity? Are there any areas of research currently that show this as a possibility?
  2. Dimentio
    Scarcity must exist in order for capitalism to prevail. That could be done by cartels, by subsidies, or by creating fetischist consumption pattern behaviors in the population. Private property rights themselves are excellent in upholding scarcity.

There is actually a study called "factor 4" which shows that we could double the life standard of most people in Europe, while cutting our production in half.

I advise you to look into technocratic litterature, which is centered around the theme of scarcity vs abundance.
  3. chimx
    chimx
    Scarcity must exist in order for capitalism to prevail.
    Yes, this is my point. Technology advancements developed from within capitalism that naturally destroy scarcity. Currently this is sending companies effected by p2p into crisis.

My question is if you think further technology can be developed from within capitalism that can undermine capitalism's scarcity, and if so does anyone have thoughts on what areas of development that can or will do this, especially beyond that of raw computer data.
  4. Dimentio
    It is doing it all the time. But capitalism do not have a natural monopoly on development.