Obama wrong on NASA

1. cska
    http://www.standard.net/topics/opini...ama-wrong-nasa

Obama wrong on NASA

By Sen. Robert Bennett (Guest commentary)

Last Edit: Apr 30 2010 - 2:06pm

Today, Congress and the president are grappling with a decision that will define our nation's space program for generations. The decision is whether this nation should choose to continue the current Constellation program or replace it with the president's "new" plan for human space exploration. This is a decision that cannot be made lightly because the consequences of failure are so severe and long lasting.

I believe the president is wrong to cancel Constellation. This nation cannot simply throw out a proven program and replace it with one the president hopes will work. The future of our space program should be based on facts and grounded in reality, but the president's plan ignores both. At a recent congressional hearing I challenged General Charles Bolden, the president's choice to lead NASA, to answer basic questions that I believe lie at the heart of a solid space program. And so far, neither General Bolden nor the president have, as we say in the business world, been able to "make the sale" as to why terminating Constellation will be good for our country.

First, how does the science stack up? So far, the president has relied on faulty reasoning that the current program is not "on track," while at the same time throwing his full weight behind unproven private companies to safely and reliably transport humans to space. The truth is, we have already demonstrated that the current technology is proven to be successful.

The Ares I rocket, which is proudly manufactured in Utah and is a central component of Constellation, completed a successful test flight in October of 2009 and received global acclaim as TIME Magazine's best invention of the year, dazzling even its most ardent skeptics.

I was completely shocked at a recent congressional hearing to hear Bolden claim that the reliability of the Ares rocket was "zero." He has somehow managed to come to the conclusion that the Ares rocket, despite four years of development and a successful test flight, is on equal technological footing with "commercial" rockets that don't even exist. I have a hard time believing that.

The second question is how will the industrial base be protected? If the president decides in 2015 that solid rocket motors, the foundation for the Ares rocket, are the technology of choice to take us deeper into space, he will quickly find there is no longer an industrial base available to build these rockets.

Yet, even more alarming, the industrial base is critical to our national security and vital to our nation's defense arsenal. Termination of Ares I would prove costly and leave many solid rocket motor production facilities idle. Reviving it to meet the needs of future defense or space needs would be lengthy and extremely costly. Despite claims to the contrary, the president has no real plan to deal with the loss of this critical industry.

The third question is what about the money? The president has failed to explain how his plan will actually save tax dollars and allow us to get the best return on our investment in space exploration. The president canceled Constellation because he claimed it was financially unsustainable, yet he hasn't given us a clear idea of how much his new plan will cost. Billions of dollars have already been invested in Constellation and it would cost billions more to terminate existing contracts and subsidize commercial companies. The president has failed to convince the taxpayers that it makes sense financially to switch mid-course.

The fourth question is, what about the law? Congress explicitly prohibited NASA from using fiscal year 2010 funds from canceling or modifying the Constellation program; yet just last week ATK received a notice that funds for one of their current contracts are restricted after April 30, 2010, resulting in almost 100 Utahns losing their jobs.

Even though NASA has not publicized any contract changes, the mere announcement earlier this year that Constellation would be canceled set off a chain reaction leading to cash flow restrictions under a current Constellation contract.

Though NASA believes it has not violated the law, their actions are in fact altering current contracts.

Finally, what about the jobs? The president's shortsighted decision to cancel Constellation and Ares will eliminate 2,000 jobs in Utah alone with more jobs threatened in other states. This has a devastating effect on northern Utah and the state's economy. At a time when many Americans are looking for a job, it is irresponsible for the president to cut these programs without making a strong case.

I don't buy what the president is selling. I stand with Utahns in their opposition to Obama's plan to cancel these critical programs. The future of our space program should be based on solid facts and grounded in reality, not hope and change.

Bennett, a Republican, is Utah's junior senator.