Joining the IWW

1. Red October
    Red October
    I just got hired as a part time scooper in an ice cream shop, and I'm thinking of joining the IWW. But my area has very little union presence in general, and practically none from the IWW. I'd like to join to at least support the union, but I don't know if it would actually help me on the job. Suggestions?
  2. YSR
    YSR
    I would suggest talking to the branch in your area. Where do you live?
  3. Red October
    Red October
    I would suggest talking to the branch in your area. Where do you live?
    I'm in North Carolina, and the IWW branch here has no email or phone contact information listed on the website. The address listed is in another city too.
  4. YSR
    YSR
    I've PMed you.
  5. Bilan
    Bilan
    Perhaps organizing your shop first, even if not with the IWW, but under similar principles?
    Talk to your co-workers and stuff. Is it a big shop? Small? How many staff? *bombards with questions*

See this thread, too.
  6. hekmatista
    hekmatista
    I see no good reason why everyone on Revleft doesn't join IWW (other than their dreadfully inefficient processing of applications, checks left uncashed, etc.) As I've stated elsewhere, IWW represents the least common denominator of what all of us believe anyway.
  7. Patchd
    Patchd
    ^^ I got my application done in a day at a pub after the Mayday march, and got my books and shit about a week or less, later.
  8. Red October
    Red October
    ^^ I got my application done in a day at a pub after the Mayday march, and got my books and shit about a week or less, later.
    Did you pay with check or credit card? I'm going to put in my application/dues as soon as I get my debit card in the mail so the process goes easier.
  9. Red October
    Red October
    Alright so it's been many months since I started this thread and I am still not a member of the IWW yet. But I got paid this week and I had some spare money, so I sent in $12 for my initiation fee and first month's dues via paypal. Assuming I get accepted as a member, what do I do? There's a few other folks around here (all anarchists) who are interested in joining and one says he knows an IWW delegat around here.
  10. Bilan
    Bilan
    Start organizing!
  11. icepick
    icepick
    I see no good reason why everyone on Revleft doesn't join IWW (other than their dreadfully inefficient processing of applications, checks left uncashed, etc.) As I've stated elsewhere, IWW represents the least common denominator of what all of us believe anyway.
    Economic democracy, revolutionary syndicalism, overthrow of capitalism via the general strike, libertarian working class self-organisation, and grassroots people power?
  12. Red October
    Red October
    Shortly after I filed my application I was contacted by the nearest IWW delegate, who turned out to be a lot closer than I thought. Anyway, he comes to my town pretty frequently and I'm supposed to meet on Tuesday with him and one of my friends who is also interested in joining. One of his recommendations (more like a suggestion) was quitting my job and getting hired at Starbucks to see if we can link up with the Starbucks Union campaign. What do y'all think of that?
  13. Forward Union
    Forward Union
    stop reading my post and join the IWW online
  14. Red October
    Red October
    I did, I used paypal.
  15. Y Chwyldro Comiwnyddol Cymraeg
    Y Chwyldro Comiwnyddol Cymraeg
    Im going to join as I now work...
    I shall also ensure I receive my breaks which I'm entitled to as a young worker.
  16. Y Chwyldro Comiwnyddol Cymraeg
    Y Chwyldro Comiwnyddol Cymraeg
    You have to print a form and post it...you can't join online
  17. Red October
    Red October
    You have to print a form and post it...you can't join online
    I kind of did both. I sent in my money via paypal but I got my red card and other materials through meeting with the closest delegate.
  18. the_me_collective
    the_me_collective
    Can I join the IWW as a belgium student?
  19. Incendiarism
    Incendiarism
    Can I join the IWW as a belgium student?
    Yes, it's open to students and if I remember correctly they are classified as unemployed and dues are three dollars. Unless of course you have a job in which dues are dependent on income
  20. the_me_collective
    the_me_collective
    Yes, it's open to students and if I remember correctly they are classified as unemployed and dues are three dollars. Unless of course you have a job in which dues are dependent on income
    Even if I live in Belgium?
  21. Sosa
    Sosa
    this is old but...I joined in June and we are in the process of organizing my workplace...so far we have just about half the workers signed up to the IWW