Combatting hostility to unionism at work

1. Random Precision
    So here is my situation:

I work in the amphitheater of a performing arts center. Myself and the people I work with are on the "amphitheater crew", that is to say, pretty much every job that does not require any sort of skill, i.e. picking up the trash, guarding performers' instruments, setting up the orchestra shows, that's what we do. This is a seasonal job, and as with all seasonal jobs in the state, we do not receive time and a half for overtime, even though the day is quite rare when we don't work at least 8 hours. It goes without saying that we all get no more than minimum wage.

The guys who run lights, sound and so on at the amphitheater are unionized (I think with the Teamsters), but of course we are not organized, and I don't expect there to be any attempt to do so, because of the nature of the job.

I have tried to do what I can at work, engaging my co-workers in political discussions, and a few of them have been receptive to what I've had to say. The main problem, however, seems to be unions, which as I can see is pretty much a dirty word among us. Most of the people I work with believe that unionized workers are lazy, and they receive no light amount of ridicule on that count. There also seems to be the perception that because only union workers can deal with the light and sound work, that they're somehow preventing us from getting experience at those things. I have tried explaining why those provisions are in the contracts, but I might have saved my breath, because all I've gotten has been either sarcastic or non-responsive.

All I want to do is try to open up some fellow workers to the concept of organization. Am I wasting my time? And if not, how should I pursue this?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Joe Hill's Ghost
    Joe Hill's Ghost
    Well a good line always use with the "uggh they have it sooooo good," is that

"well, why do they have it sooooo good? Because they're bloody organized! If we were organized, we could be as lazy as them, even lazier! And in our united laziness we could find some way to get training. For if we worked together as a united front, they'd have nothing to fear from us." The idea is to shift anger to the boss, and make the union workers into something worth admiration. Always emphasize the potential for future slouching and slagging off the boss. It tends to work.

Another thing you should do is build up a network of contacts with the union stagehands. Find the ones that have influence within their work social groups, and get them on your side. Ask him or her if they could build support with the stagehands for an all stagehands organization. That way both sides are prepped and ready.

Now this doesn't mean you're organizing a legal union or anything. I've done my fair share of recognition campaigns, they are a huge waste in a seasonal situ. Here is where informal workplace resistance works best. Your workers need not join a union, you just need to institutionalize cooperation a bit, maybe get them to sign up to the IWW. If you're near a functional branch, the IWW can provide decent help with these sort of campaigns.

If you want further help, feel free to pm.
  3. chimx
    chimx
    I would suggest contacting a local union rep. If you are serious about organizing, they can not only point you in the right direction, but often times they will take the time to visit your coworkers and explain how unions work themselves. Keep on discussing things, but I think it's important to give a paid union organizing a ring to help the process along.
  4. Joe Hill's Ghost
    Joe Hill's Ghost
    I would suggest contacting a local union rep. If you are serious about organizing, they can not only point you in the right direction, but often times they will take the time to visit your coworkers and explain how unions work themselves. Keep on discussing things, but I think it's important to give a paid union organizing a ring to help the process along.
    They're seasonal employees, the NLRB election alone can take months. By then it'll all be over.