Workplace issues.

1. Bilan
    Bilan
    I don't want to go into to much depth to really reveal who I am, or where I work, or anything, so excuse this for being a little bit vague.

Anyway, yesterday, when I was at work, a co-worker (And good friend of mine) was talking to a superviser at my work in the kitchen. When I walked in, I knew he was warning he, because of new bullshit thats been happening at my work - anyone who is caught in the kitchen eating left overs will be fired on the spot.
    We all started talking about whats going on with it, and he said that, essentially, that the bosses have been black mailing him (and presumably other supervisers) to give names of people who've been cooking extra food, or eating in the kitchen in general - and if he didn't give names, they'd fire him on the spot.
    We suggested to him (or rather, urged him) to join the union for his own protection (Which he doesn't believe can protect him).

So I want to ask other comrades who've seen this happen before, what can we do?
  2. Joe Hill's Ghost
    Joe Hill's Ghost
    I don't want to go into to much depth to really reveal who I am, or where I work, or anything, so excuse this for being a little bit vague.

Anyway, yesterday, when I was at work, a co-worker (And good friend of mine) was talking to a superviser at my work in the kitchen. When I walked in, I knew he was warning he, because of new bullshit thats been happening at my work - anyone who is caught in the kitchen eating left overs will be fired on the spot.
    We all started talking about whats going on with it, and he said that, essentially, that the bosses have been black mailing him (and presumably other supervisers) to give names of people who've been cooking extra food, or eating in the kitchen in general - and if he didn't give names, they'd fire him on the spot.
    We suggested to him (or rather, urged him) to join the union for his own protection (Which he doesn't believe can protect him).

So I want to ask other comrades who've seen this happen before, what can we do?
    If you have enough strength on the job, you and your compatriots could take some form of direct action to correct the problem. Like say refusing to report how much of ingredient x and Y anyone uses in the kitchen. That way they couldn't fault the supervisors. Joining the union is always of some help, if Oz labor law is anything like US or Brit labor law then union membership usually stops totally arbitrary firings. But if they really want you gone, its not of much help.

Though I'm a little confused. Are we trying to protect your co-worker or your super. Is your super a non hire and fire supervisor or a semi boss type? If you PM some more details I could prolly be of more help.
  3. Bilan
    Bilan
    Super visors are just sort of a bit above the other workers - they sort of coordinate jobs in a particular area. They don't really have the right to hire and fire, but if they tell a manager/boss that you're a shit worker, almost 100% chance there'll be consequences to you (True or not).
    So objectively, we want to protect both. Because both are in the shit here.
  4. Joe Hill's Ghost
    Joe Hill's Ghost
    Super visors are just sort of a bit above the other workers - they sort of coordinate jobs in a particular area. They don't really have the right to hire and fire, but if they tell a manager/boss that you're a shit worker, almost 100% chance there'll be consequences to you (True or not).
    So objectively, we want to protect both. Because both are in the shit here.
    Then my suggestion still stands. join the union for the short term, and utilize direct action to protect folk since that won't work for very long.