Abolishing the Gregorian Calendar

1. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    I'm reposting this topic. It was lost during the board upgrade.

(I don't know how to make a poll here.)

My opinion was: keep the year numbers the same, but institute the Common Era date method (B.C.E. & C.E.) which is already widely used in textbooks. Also: change the names of the days.
  2. F9
    F9
    i support of staying current calendar because a change would bring a lot of confusions especially to older people.

Fuserg9
  3. Colonello Buendia
    Colonello Buendia
    needless in my opinion, the common era idea is good though
  4. al8
    I am of cource open to change. A tecknocratic functional calender would't be to my likeing.
  5. Module
    Module
    Common era is a good idea, but why change the name of the days?
    What purpose does it serve? (I didn't see the previous thread, by the way.)
  6. Dros
    Dros
    Common era is a good idea, but why change the name of the days?
    What purpose does it serve? (I didn't see the previous thread, by the way.)
    The names of the days are all based on Norse gods.

Instead, we could have Marxday, Engelsday, Leninday, Stalinday, and Maoday!
  7. RevMARKSman
    RevMARKSman
    The names of the days are all based on Norse gods.
    Who cares?

I think the calendar is fine as it is. Most institutions are already using BCE and CE. To change the year numbers would completely screw up history for one generation, because the old dates would already have a permanent place in the brain.
  8. Dros
    Dros
    Who cares?

I think the calendar is fine as it is. Most institutions are already using BCE and CE. To change the year numbers would completely screw up history for one generation, because the old dates would already have a permanent place in the brain.
    No one is talking about changing dates.

And I don't care. But that's why one would do it.
  9. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    Well, I'm not very passionate on changing the days, but even though religions may have a small following, they should be fought. Some people, Nazi-types for instance, worship the Norse gods that the days are named for. I'd like to see a future free of all pernicious religious influence, even the smaller religions.
  10. F9
    F9
    are days(!) named after gods?in greek most of them are in kind of numbering!

Fuserg9
  11. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage

Fuserg9
    In English, yes. For instance:
    Wednesday is named after the Norse god of war Woden (Wotan), Thursday is named after the god of thunder Thor, etc. etc.
  12. mykittyhasaboner
    mykittyhasaboner
    well as i discussed in the last thread, im all for abolishing the gregorian calendar. the days dont matter to much to me, but comrade crum brings up a point, about having even the smallest bit of religious influence, which i dont think we should have at all. so id have to say just forget about calling days saturday or anything and just call them by their date. it seems foolish to me that we go in cycles of monday, tues..etc. is there any point to this weekly cycle of different names for days?
  13. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    well as i discussed in the last thread, im all for abolishing the gregorian calendar. the days dont matter to much to me, but comrade crum brings up a point, about having even the smallest bit of religious influence, which i dont think we should have at all. so id have to say just forget about calling days saturday or anything and just call them by their date. it seems foolish to me that we go in cycles of monday, tues..etc. is there any point to this weekly cycle of different names for days?
    I like having differences in days myself, so I think different days of the week is valuable, but there names should def be changed.
    Poll Added BTW.

And I accidentally voted for #1 instead of #2, for fuck's sake.
  14. F9
    F9
    i voted 3rd and No,getting attention to days in my language that there are not named after gods.But it could be changed in some languages that use gods name!

Fuserg9
  15. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    i voted 3rd and No,getting attention to days in my language that there are not named after gods.But it could be changed in some languages that use gods name!

Fuserg9
    Well, obviously day names would only have to be changed in countries where they are based on gods.
  16. Kami
    Kami
    I'll say again; surely we can come up with something better, more useful than the current calender?
  17. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    The odd thing is that a perfect calendar has never been created. All of the calendars that have ever been in use need periodic adjustments, that's why we have leap years. Considering that the Gregorian was developed so long ago, maybe we could create a better calendar. It would certainly help in terms of work. For instance, if we were to have a 4 day work week, an 8-day calendar would solve a lot of problems regarding weekend labor that would arise.
  18. eyedrop
    It's neccesary improve the whole time system we have. Why do we still have the archaic system with 60'th parts and 24'th parts. It wouldn't be that hard to adjust as it's a 96 quarters in a day, almost a hundred part. I propose to change the time system to more resemble the SI units.
    Let's have a ten day week instead, ever worked with accounting? I have and it's a nuisance to keep track of which week is what day in todays system. Calculating with speed would be way easier if we had time-units based on 10'th parts instead of todays illogical system. Then one could intinuative calculate speed on the fly without having to stop and think about it.

All other measuring unit was made to fit into the metric system(?) when we introduced SI units. Why shouldn't time?
  19. Thíazì
    Thíazì
    There should be "calendar reform", but not just because the calendar is rooted in religion. The Gregorian Calendar has been in use for an insane amount of time and I'm sure it can be bettered.

Changing the names of days also seems utterly pointless. I'm sure most people don't even know that they come from the names of gods, and people certainly don't think of days that way. I don't think anyone wakes up on Thursday and starts praying to Thor.
  20. Hyacinth
    Hyacinth
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Changing the names of days also seems utterly pointless. I'm sure most people don't even know that they come from the names of gods, and people certainly don't think of days that way. I don't think anyone wakes up on Thursday and starts praying to Thor.
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana]Indeed. There might be good reasons for calendar reform, technical or otherwise, but the origin of the English names of the week being rooted in Norse mythology (which no one takes seriously anymore) isn’t one of them.

For example, I think the international fixed calendar has some good ideas. But it is worth looking at the current calendar reform proposals.
    [/FONT]
  21. Kami
    Kami
    Most institutions are already using BCE and CE
    Irritatingly, I've lately seen quite a number of institutions & people using this as "Christian Era" and "Before Christian Era" -.-
  22. apathy maybe
    BCE and CE are just silly. It isn't the common era! If you are count from something that indicates now, then the start of industrialisation might be a good point. Or, better, counting from the revolution.

Anyway, as I've said in other threads (some started by me, do a search), the present system of dates and time sucks. 24 hours, 60 seconds etc. 12 months, what the fuck? Let's go base 10 or base 100. (I worked it out once, with a twenty hour day, 100 minutes in an hour and 100 seconds in a minute, the seconds are just slightly longer then at present. No problems that I can see.)
  23. Cult of Reason
    Cult of Reason
    No. I am a dozenalist and I disagree with your proposal. 12s, and multiples of 12s, are easier to work with since the most common subdivisions can be used. In the current system you can easily divide by 3s and 4s. Not so in a base 10 system.
  24. Taboo Tongue
    Taboo Tongue
    I would like to switch to the French Republican Calendar.
    Also the Gregorian calendar is relatively new. 500 or so years in the initial nations that adopted it. And I believe Russia didn't adopt it until the USSR came into being.

My question is, what day would we celebrate May Day =( ?
  25. Black Sheep
    Why 'common era'? before that it was the uncommon era? Extraordinary era?
  26. Cynical Observer
    Cynical Observer
    I think if this is done changing the days is absolutely vital not just because of the names but it could actually be used as a tool to ween religion out of popular culture even more; many religions have a holy day at least once a week, if the names and length of the weeks are changed most religions will have to create their own traditional calendars to continue observing holy days, many casual religious people will not bother with this hassle and this will distance them further from their respective religions if they are not performing weekly ceremonies.
  27. dez
    dez
    In English, yes. For instance:
    Wednesday is named after the Norse god of war Woden (Wotan), Thursday is named after the god of thunder Thor, etc. etc.
    Not in portuguese.

Sunday - Domingo (A saint. Old people still regard it as a holy day)
    Monday - Segunda (Second)
    Tuesday - Terça (third)
    Wednesday - Quarta (Fourth)
    Thursday - Quinta (Fifth)
    Friday - Sexta (Sixth)
    Saturday - Sábado (i think its pretty clear here... sabbath and all)

I agree with changing names, but I frankly think we have more important things to fight for.
    Also, when does our scientifical calendar begin?
  28. Velkas
    Velkas
    What about a calendar with 12 identical 30-day months (plus five or six extra days), with each month consisting of five six-day weeks?
    Also, what about having the launching of Sputnik in 1957 being the 'year zero', as it brought humanity into the space age?
  29. AK
    Hmm I'd prefer the Holocene Calendar. It marks human progress since the dawn of agriculture.
  30. Salabra
    Salabra

Fuserg9
    Hang on, though. "To Savvato (Saturday)" is the - jewish - sabbath, and "Paraskevi (Friday)" is the "day of preparation (for the sabbath)" - Ancient Greek "paraskevo = prepare" - while "Kyriaki (Sunday)" is 'the lord's (Jesus') day."

But, yes, Monday to Thursday are numerical in Modern Greek (as in Portuguese and many other languages)

In the Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French and Rumanian), "Saturday/Sunday" works the same as in Greek, while in the Slavonic languages, "Saturday" is also some variant of "sabbath."

But I would vote for both of Gennadi suggestions.