Religious clothing

1. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    I wanted to gague peoples' opinions of religious clothing. Should gold crosses, headscarves, burqas, etc. be permitted or banned?

There's been recent controversy over people wearing Muslim and orthodox Christian stuff in schools, etc, so I wanted to raise this issue.
  2. F9
    F9
    people can wear what ever they want,and they like.I vote to Allow poeple to wear whatever they want!

Fuserg9
  3. Hyacinth
    Hyacinth
    Clothing, of any sort, in it of itself is harmless. The issue with religious clothes is what they represent, namely, reactionary ideas. So, in as much a certain article of clothing or accessory has reactionary symbolism I would support a prohibition on it in public.

Though once such connotation has been eliminated then there really wouldn’t be any point in having restrictions on such clothes. I mean, for example, we might wish to prohibit displays of religious symbols of the contemporary religions, but having a prohibition on displaying a statue of Zeus seems entirely pointless since Greek polytheism isn’t exactly taken seriously anymore. What we should strive for is that all religions are regarded in the same manner as we regard the myths of the ancients.
  4. Comrade Rage
    Comrade Rage
    Though once such connotation has been eliminated then there really wouldn’t be any point in having restrictions on such clothes. I mean, for example, we might wish to prohibit displays of religious symbols of the contemporary religions, but having a prohibition on displaying a statue of Zeus seems entirely pointless since Greek polytheism isn’t exactly taken seriously anymore. What we should strive for is that all religions are regarded in the same manner as we regard the myths of the ancients.
    I like this approach. I do think that if there is a ban, the ban should definitely have a 'sunset', that is; it expires after a given time.
  5. al8
    Voted yes. I want it to be just as inapropriate as wearing a nazi-uniform. It should only be allowed for comedy purposes. Flaunting it in the spirit of mockery. Like in Monty Python's Spanish Inqisition. That would be exeptable.
  6. Raúl Duke
    Raúl Duke
    I'm the kind of person who doesn't care if there's or not any legislation against religious clothing. (So I choose not to vote.)

What has to be confronted the most is religious/supernatural/superstitious ideas. Maybe one day the idea behind the clothing would be discredited enough that it, the religious clothing that are part of the idea, would become as socially inappropriate as a Nazi uniform.
  7. RHIZOMES
    RHIZOMES
    people can wear whatever the hell they want.
  8. al8
    What about a bikini in a memorial?
  9. Raúl Duke
    Raúl Duke
    What about a bikini in a memorial?
    Is that like a kind of funeral?

Well I really wouldn't care what they wear really. The person is dead, she surely doesn't care one bit.
  10. al8
    Of course. But I was trying to point out that there is a general onception of clothing that is widely exeptable; that they should fit the occation.

And then by extention that a ban can be contextual in like manner as other kinds of already established dress codes are in some places. Fx. one can where some ban clothes in private at home, or in a comedy sketch, theater production. Or something like that. Where the line is to be drawn can be worked out.

(Side note; It's not that I my self am genarally a squmish prude. My dream is that my body not by buried but thrown into the dumster like any other trash just to diss the silly posturing people show dead bodies. But I doubt my wishes will be followed since I wont exist to enforce them)
  11. mykittyhasaboner
    mykittyhasaboner
    i voted no, we cant ban articles of clothing! people should be able to wear what they want to.
  12. Thíazì
    Thíazì
    Voted yes. I want it to be just as inapropriate as wearing a nazi-uniform. It should only be allowed for comedy purposes. Flaunting it in the spirit of mockery. Like in Monty Python's Spanish Inqisition. That would be exeptable.
    Well Nazi uniforms are inappropriate because they're linked to a murderous régime and racial superiority. Nazi uniforms aren't even banned either. Banning something certainly isn't going to make people think it's "inappropriate".

In the spirit of freedom of expression, I really don't think any article of clothing should be banned, whether it's over-zealous religious clothing, Nazi uniforms, or anything else.
  13. Black Sheep
    i dont care hat much.If anyone wants, let them wear religious clothing.
    but let them alsp be ready to be ridiculed and made fun of
  14. mushroompizza
    mushroompizza
    I say its fine.
    But people dont deserve special privileges for instance, if a school has uniforms but allows religous clothing as an exception. But I think uniforms shouldnt exist anyway.