Atheist camp

1. RHIZOMES
    RHIZOMES
  2. Black Sheep
    check out the dude in the 4th photo
  3. Picky Bugger
    Picky Bugger
    Personally I don't like it, I really dislike the forming of Atheism into some sort of dogmatic cult that's why I dislike Richard Dawkins comment that we should be referred to as "Brights" it's stupid and pointless. It's easy to be skeptical and there is plenty of source material to back up ones feelings so I think indoctrinating children at any age is bad and more akin to religious practice than how atheism should occur...

Oh and I didn't read the whole thing so I may have missed the point of the camp but lets hope not, anyway my points are still valid.
  4. Akim
    Akim
    I would have loved to be in a summercamp like that as a kid. My parents put me in religious camps which I hated! I dont see any problem in teaching kids to be skeptic and scientific. there is no atheist dogma.
  5. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    Good idea. The importance and methodology of critical, rational and scientific thought should be impressed upon children as soon as they're able to understand them.

There's nothing wrong with "atheist identity" as long as two things are kept in mind - firstly, that atheist come from a wide range of backgrounds, meaning that the only thing really uniting atheists is, well, atheism. Secondly, atheism must be a matter of logic and reasoned argument rather than mere assertion.
  6. Picky Bugger
    Picky Bugger
    I would say that there is a dogma but it is only in the first birth pangs of its existence, holding people like Dawkins (who I have nothing against) as almost the leader of atheism does create a dogma like scenario which some atheists choose to accept.

Of course there is nothing wrong with teaching children to be skeptical and scientific it should indeed be encouraged but I don't see that these camps are the solution to combating superstition and spirituality. Maybe my criticism is based upon my dislike for any camp type activity.

I agree with you totally Noxion but this is not always the case especially in terms of assertion.
  7. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    I would say that there is a dogma but it is only in the first birth pangs of its existence, holding people like Dawkins (who I have nothing against) as almost the leader of atheism does create a dogma like scenario which some atheists choose to accept.
    Well Dawkins would have to fight for that "title" along with Dennett, Hitchens, Harris, and others such as PZ Myers and AC Grayling. In any case, I've not seen any indications that any of them want it. Even if they did, many atheists (including myself for that matter) would reject it. Herding cats and all that.

Of course there is nothing wrong with teaching children to be skeptical and scientific it should indeed be encouraged but I don't see that these camps are the solution to combating superstition and spirituality. Maybe my criticism is based upon my dislike for any camp type activity.
    Camps are fun - I certainly enjoyed the two Army Cadet summer camps I managed to attend. If the idea of combating superstition and spirituality is seen as something that can be fun then I think it would help enormously.

I agree with you totally Noxion but this is not always the case especially in terms of assertion.
    Could you elaborate?
  8. Picky Bugger
    Picky Bugger
    Well Dawkins would have to fight for that "title" along with Dennett, Hitchens, Harris, and others such as PZ Myers and AC Grayling. In any case, I've not seen any indications that any of them want it. Even if they did, many atheists (including myself for that matter) would reject it. Herding cats and all that.
    Yes Dawkins would only be one suitable example and they do not need to accept it to be seen as a leader, in some sense it is not for them to chose. Like you I would reject it, but many people looking for an atheist identity wouldn't.

Could you elaborate?
    Not really, I cannot recall what I meant by this but but believe me it was nonsense
  9. Elect Marx
    Elect Marx
    Yes Dawkins would only be one suitable example and they do not need to accept it to be seen as a leader, in some sense it is not for them to chose. Like you I would reject it, but many people looking for an atheist identity wouldn't.
    I hardly see that as fair. We live in a class society and anyone willing to stand up and fight for their cause will be called a leader. We need to make a clear distinction between leadership and rulership. None of us should be followers, more so we should all lead. We need to agitate, educate and organize, all things seen as leadership roles and we shouldn't shy away from that. I don't see many of these atheist icons as having a great political consciousness, but they are making progress in science and pushing for atheist rights. Even if I disagree with their tactics, I only have a problem when they state reactionary views and sympathize with empire.
  10. Julien Holcroft
    Julien Holcroft
    I quite like the idea. Seems very 'Brave New World'-esque to me. I'd take my kids there.
  11. DoCt SPARTAN
    DoCt SPARTAN
    check out the dude in the 4th photo

??? yeah that guy wearing Anti-Che shirt. Also it said he was atheist???
  12. DoCt SPARTAN
    DoCt SPARTAN
    Looks like it like brainwashes kids or something, I'd rather practice my humanism on my own level!