The gift econonomy of cigarettes

1. Bitter Ashes
    Bitter Ashes
    This is something I never really considered before a few months ago, but seems pretty obvious now, to me at least.

Do smokers actualy operate a form of gift economy?

We've all been there. You're in the pub, all the shops are closed, or you've not got much cash left on you, but you need a ciggie. What do you do? You try spot a smoker and ask if you can crash a ciggie. Nine times out of ten, they'll share one with you despite you bieng a stranger and knowing that they may never see you again to make it some kind of trade. Meanwhile there's plenty of times that it's been the other way around where I've got plenty to smoke and somebody will ask me for one and again, I'll hand one over with no questions asked. What I give away, works out about equal to what I ask for, although I've never kept count.

What I find intresting is that this seems to be a gift economy in action ammoungst smokers already, that has become very ingrained into society. We don't think on it much because it's become such an integral part of smoking.

What does everyone think? Is it a good example of a gift economy in action in the Western world (although I'm sure it exists elsewhere too)?
  2. Rusty Shackleford
    Rusty Shackleford
    i do this a lot. i bum and let cigarettes be bummed. we all understand we need a smoke once in a while especially in school/work/recreational areas.

this does translate a bit into a gift economy. nice spot!
  3. Tifosi
    Tifosi
    Never really seen it that way but it is a good spot. Most of the time I crash them to people I trust, people I like and people I know will crash me one down the line. It's all a game of trust, trust that they won't grass on me (under age). You, well I wouldn't crash a cig out to someone that has just started, I don't want them to waste it.
  4. Crux
    Crux
    I absolutly agree, my own principles in regards to this is as long as I have more than 3 cigarettes left in the pack I will always help a fellow smoker out, no questions asked. However I know I will need at least 3 ciggs left in the pack to last through the rest of the day, so if I am down to three you'd have to be a friend or make a good case for it.
  5. Crux
    Crux
    Also in relation to this, how would you guys feel about setting up a Smokers solidarity fund, i e taking this gift economy global? it's been an idea I've had rolling around in my head for a while and I am not completely done with the specifics yet but preliminary name is Revolutionary Smokers Solidarity Action.
  6. Art Vandelay
    Haha I want to hear more about the RSSA.