Introductory works?

1. GracchusBabeuf
    Any suggestions for an introduction to post-structuralism and/or post-modernism? I am a beginner in this field and my major is in the physical sciences. My curiousness has been aroused for a while about this field and I'm interested to start learning about it.
  2. berlitz23
    berlitz23
    I would suggest Postmodern Theory by Douglas Kellner and Steven Best. It is an excellent primer and provides sweeping analysis of prominent thinkers like Foucault, Deleuze, Baudrillard, and Lyotard, also delves into the theorists anchored in the Marxist, Feminist and Critical Theory milieu.
  3. kalu
    kalu
    It helps if there's a specific field or topic in the social sciences, that way you can read pomo-inspired authors who are addressing themes you are familiar with, albeit in new ways. Do you have a particular topic (ie sugar estates in the americas) that you are interested in, or particular discipline in the social sciences or humanities (ie anthroplogy)? I would recommend, for general purposes, power/knowledge: selected essays by foucault edited by rabinow I believe, maybe something by pomo authors in the history of science (ie bachelard), ill think of some more.
  4. kalu
    kalu
    Edit: double post.
  5. JPSartre12
    JPSartre12
    I would suggest some Derrida, but only after you've completed a book or two beforehand.