site.

1. RED ARMY FACTION
    While we deciede what to do about the paper, maybe we should get a site up and running.
    Anyone with any knowledge on this want to start it up and inquire about getting ads and the like on to raise a bit of money.
  2. Spawn of Stalin
    Right, I have a fair bit of experience with this, I can have a mock-up within a day or two if anyone thinks that is a good idea? Or are we just going for a blog? Either way Google's AdSense is generally the best and most popular ad service, it's very easy to get up and running too.
  3. RED ARMY FACTION
    yes i think that would be good comrade, keep us informed on the progress.
  4. Spawn of Stalin
    Right then Comrades, I've put together a very basic layout which could resemble what the finished product might look like. If anyone has any better ideas do let me know as everything you see can be changed, I've just used scarletghoul's name for this example. Best viewed large so click on the pictures to make them bigger.

http://tinypic.com/r/bf3uqe/4
    http://tinypic.com/r/dctvd4/4
  5. RED ARMY FACTION
    great comrade
  6. Olerud
    Olerud
    wow it looks great. How will the actual paper be presented online, Pdf ?
  7. Spawn of Stalin
    There will be an option to download the entire paper as a PDF, but I think it's good to have the option of viewing each individual article on the actual website, to accommodate the more casual readers. I think we should set up a blog too (just a Wordpress or a Blogger or whatever), as a sort of "sister site" to run alongside it.
  8. redmarxist90
    redmarxist90
    Thats brilliant
  9. scarletghoul
    scarletghoul
    Awesome! And I agree we should have the articles up in HTML form to be viewed on the website, as PDFs can be kinda awkward sometimes.
    Nice logo btw; you're a talented man
  10. Spawn of Stalin
    Cheers, Comrades, glad you like it. If anyone has any ideas for web content on just for the form and function of the site in general do post them up here. Also, I understand that we're not all Marxist-Leninists, so if anyone has any objection to the Soviet style hammer and sickle please let me know and we can look at changing it to something a bit more universal.
  11. cb9's_unity
    cb9's_unity
    Honestly i think the very site of a hammer and sickle may be enough to throw off some readers. When people see the hammer and sickle they often make immediate false assumptions. The symbol will invoke capitalist strawman arguments that essentially put words in our mouth.

I'd also like to make the point that I'm not entirely against the hammer and sickle itself. I'm just not thinking it will be effective helping the initial perception of the paper from someone with liberal or conservative tendencies.
  12. Q
    Q
    What about using revleft instead? For example: paper.revleft.com

That way we also ensure open access to this paper to anyone in the community
  13. Revy
    Revy
    What about using revleft instead? For example: paper.revleft.com

That way we also ensure open access to this paper to anyone in the community
    Yes, this was my first choice....though it seemed to me like there was already a consensus for New Revolutionary Press, but I am willing to join the debate again and give my support to RevLeft.

I don't really want to get into semantics here on another issue (calling it a paper or a magazine/zine, although I prefer the latter). But I think the point I originally made was about format/style, it should not be larger than a typical magazine (if it's going to be published in print). I wouldn't want to see some huge newspaper, I think that's kind of pretentious, plus I actually hate those kind of newspapers....
  14. Q
    Q
    Yes, this was my first choice....though it seemed to me like there was already a consensus for New Revolutionary Press
    Consensus after just a day or so of discussion?

but I am willing to join the debate again and give my support to RevLeft.
    It certainly is a better idea. This is why we shouldn't rush things through, a better might always come along.

I don't really want to get into semantics here on another issue (calling it a paper or a magazine/zine, although I prefer the latter). But I think the point I originally made was about format/style, it should not be larger than a typical magazine (if it's going to be published in print). I wouldn't want to see some huge newspaper, I think that's kind of pretentious, plus I actually hate those kind of newspapers....
    A magazine sounds good yes, but is offtopic for this thread
  15. bailey_187
    in my opinion the symbol should just be a five point star
  16. RED ARMY FACTION
    in my opinion the symbol should just be a five point star
    Totally agree with you.
    just the star
  17. Olerud
    Olerud
    A star would be good. I also agree that it would be better in a kind of magazine form. I also think that the general census on name was Broad Left.
  18. RED ARMY FACTION
    i did too but some comrades liked new revolutiony press
    or it could be called the RNP, like the Manchester Evening News
  19. redmarxist90
    redmarxist90
    that seems like a good idea. I like that RNP and you are right it is like the MEN
  20. farleft
    farleft
    What's with the adverts and crap round the edge? Maybe an alternative to tinypic.com? www.host-ed.net has advert free hosting at no cost.
  21. Spawn of Stalin
    TinyPic is just somewhere to dump screenshots without signing up for anything. We don't plan on hosting the whole site there, Comrade.

22. RED ARMY FACTION
    communist herald entertainment
    C H E
    lol

Common Household Education
    C H E
    if only they made sense, because CHE would draw great interest

Or edition for the E
  23. farleft
    farleft
    TinyPic is just somewhere to dump screenshots without signing up for anything. We don't plan on hosting the whole site there, Comrade.

Ah that makes more sense! Thanks.
  24. farleft
    farleft
    I was playing with some ideas, what do people think?
    revleftpaper.host-ed.net (please be aware that I have just uploaded it to the host to it is not up yet and i dont know how long it takes, could be a few minutes, could be 24 hours).
    Oh and im new to writing html so if someone else can do better they can take my files and have a go lol
  25. Spawn of Stalin
    Nice job man. The three column layout works. Does the comment box work yet or have you just put a blank form in there? Once we decide for definite on a name I'm going to work something up on the Squarespace platform, I know HTML and obviously you do too so we'll be able to upload our own code to Squarespace with the added advantage of having an inbuilt blogging system and easy content generation with RSS feeds. Also, Squarespace is cloud hosted, which means zero downtime. There are a lot of options for web content and I'd really like to see if Squarespace could work for us.
  26. farleft
    farleft
    I think it does work yeah.

Sounds good to me mate, obviously everything I have done is just for example purposes. It's down to us all how we want it to look and feel.
  27. farleft
    farleft
    Does anyone have any comments/suggestions about http://revleftpaper.host-ed.net ? Anything to upload etc?
  28. farleft
    farleft
    I think we need a new host, host-ed.net seems to have some problems, the archive section hasnt uploaded nor have some of the pics, I have checked them and everything is correct, its just not working.
  29. Spawn of Stalin
    I'm working on something right now, I'll let you know when I have something to show for it.
  30. farleft
    farleft
    Fantastic mate, cheers.