General paper discussion, ideas, etc.

1. Spawn of Stalin
    Discuss ideas you may have for any aspect of the potential paper as set out by RAF and other Comrades. Will the paper be web only or print and web? Will it be monthly, fortnightly, weekly? Will each edition have a specific topic to which articles adhere to? Will it be news or theory based or both?

Discuss.
  2. Olerud
    Olerud
    I think the main thing we need to do right now is decide if the paper should be online (I think it should) or be properly printed and sold.
  3. Spawn of Stalin
    I agree, I'm not sure if RAF's original idea was web or print, but everyone's opinion is valid! My personal opinion is that it should be both web and print, but ideally we would have a vote on this issue once this group gets more members.
  4. RED ARMY FACTION
    If we do it online, we can gain cash from ads that could be used to then start putting it into print.
    I also had an idea for fund raising.
    My local army store has balaclavas berets etc we could purchase some and sell them at a fraction higher price, thus making money for the site and letting people buy products where their money will not be recycled back into the capitalist system.
    I think we are onto something great here comrades.
  5. scarletghoul
    scarletghoul
    Starting out online and then putting it into print later sounds like the best idea right now. My only worry is that it will become just another obscure leftist blog thing that gets forgotten by everyone. We must do our best to ensure we have a good variety of quality items!

Also, what kind of paper is this gonna be? I think something general would be cool, with reviews and poetry and other cultural items aswell as news and diverse articles. Something rich, interesting, and fresh, you know
  6. RED ARMY FACTION
    i think we shouldnt let anyone take a part as there will be infiltrators and right wing trolls.
    Red son would you be in charge of screening new people, otherwise i can see us being sabotaged.
  7. Olerud
    Olerud
    Yeah i agree SG we should keep it general. Left wing news, reviews ect. We need more support first though. Also a name and a logo
  8. Olerud
    Olerud
    RAF i don't think we need to be that paranoid.
  9. Spawn of Stalin
    Yeah, I don't think we'll have any problems with established posters here, but if say, a new user wants to write something for the paper then we should wait a while and read through their posts a bit. I don't care about anarchists and Trots and shit because we've already pretty much decided that this is just going to be a leftist paper, as opposed to a Marxist-Leninist paper, or a syndicalist paper, or whatever, but we don't want people trolling the paper! I've changed it to a moderated group anyhow, since the paper is going to be democratic, it makes sense to only give those involved the right to vote, otherwise people will just vote on tendency specific articles and stuff.
  10. RED ARMY FACTION
    better safe than sorry comrade, though i admit i probably sound paranoid lol.
    About the name, anyone have any suggestions?
    Also should it be one a month, with alot of material, or smaller, weekly papers
  11. scarletghoul
    scarletghoul
    I personally think a weekly one will be better as it will keep people coming to read and keep things fresh. Especially if it's gonna include news.

I also think the original thread should be kept going for a while so more people know about this
  12. Spawn of Stalin
    We could meet in the middle and go with a fortnightly, or if the majority of Comrades want a weekly or a monthly paper then we'll go with that, personally I'm easy, both have their pros and cons. I'm going to propose that once we come up with a few basic ideas that will form the foundations of the paper we hold a series of votes for all the issues at hand.

And yeah, we need to keep RAF's topic alive so as to generate interest.
  13. Olerud
    Olerud
    Fortnightly sounds good.
  14. RED ARMY FACTION
    so does the giving the profits to charity still stands, if so i think the majority of money (once we have been properly established) should go to palestinian organisations, as they are some of the most in need.
    We should also try and get palestinians to send letters to print in the paper, make people aware if they were not already
  15. Olerud
    Olerud
    Yeah i don't mind.
  16. RED ARMY FACTION
    yes fortnightly sounds good
  17. RED ARMY FACTION
    this may sound a bit quirky, but we should have a cartoon sketch, just small and fun, and a new one in every paper, kind of like a political version of striker in the sun.
    maybe about a revolutionary and each week something happens to him.
    just a thought comrades
  18. redmarxist90
    redmarxist90
    A cartoon sounds good. It will keep the paper diverse and maintain interest. Also fortnightly sounds good as well
  19. Spawn of Stalin
    Proletarian and Lalkar have cartoon strips relating to current events, if we have someone with the artistic ability to do one then I don't see why we shouldn't have one.
  20. RED ARMY FACTION
    on the threads at the top the admin guys leave announcements, i will try and get led zeplin to put one up about the paper.
    Is that ok with everyone.
    Also we could see if revleft would sell some on the site as they allready sell other items.
    Let me know comrades.
  21. scarletghoul
    scarletghoul
    An announcement would be cool.
    But I don't think we should worry about selling the paper just yet. We should focus on starting the website, then once we are established (this will take several issues) we can start about printing and selling.
  22. Spawn of Stalin
    Yeah, I'd probably agree with you there, let's get some articles on the web first, then look at going to press. Anyway, as far as ideas are concerned, we seem to be doing quite well so far, considering RAF only posted his idea for a paper yesterday. If we carry on at this rate, we may just have ourselves a paper.
  23. farleft
    farleft
    Definately on the web, small amount in actual print. Monthly basis would be best. There has to be options for people to be able to comment and respond to articles both online and in writing.
    I would like to see 70% News and 20% Theory and 10% misc.
    I think the site should have no ads like from google etc but we could ourselves sell advertising space by creating boxes on the homepage with something like "Call this number to advertise here just £10 per month" or something similar.
    I dont like the idea of re-selling goods, unless we have someone or a team actually making products (headscarfs, wrist wrags or something) I dont think it will be a good idea.