Labels

1. Comrade Gwydion
    Comrade Gwydion
    Okay, I'm gonna post something that's probably as controversial here as it is amongst fundamental christians:
    Homosexuality does not exist.
    Neither does bisexuality,
    neither heterosexuality.

These are all just labels use to categorize people. People are forced to 'choose' to which they belong: someone who goes around saying he was gay two weeks ago, but now suddently is sure of beeing straight, is hardly ever taken serious, while someone who 'is into blondes' one day but only want 'redheads' the other is hardly regarded strange.

But actually I think both cases to be the same. It's all just a matter of preference. I haven't had a relationship with or a particular desire for a male, but when somehow the relationship with my current gf ends, I couldn't guess which sex I would fall in love with first:
    It's just a matter of whoever comes by first to me.

So there is my point:
    Using the term 'homosexuality' makes just as much sense as categorizing people for the haircolour they're usually attracted to.
  2. Trystan
    Trystan
    What is your objection exactly? Yes, "homosexual" is a label but it is used to denote a person's sexuality like "brown" and "fair hair" can denote a person's hair colour, and, erm . . . I think that's basically what language is about.
  3. Bad Grrrl Agro
    Bad Grrrl Agro
    I see where you are coming from to some extent. There are lots of labels that I am caught between but I have no problem with them as long as any person does not try to define me as just being that label. Okay I am way too sleepy right now.
  4. BorealStorm
    I am of the opinion that most people, especially self identified heterosexuals, lie somewhere on a very vast scale of Bisexuality. People who think Bisexuals are an extreme minority or even don't exist, I believe are people in denial who try to limit it to the point you'd have to be attracted to both equally to be considered a bisexual in their eyes.

But in truth, I'm quite sure the vast majority of people lie on a very, very massive and encompassing bisexuality scale. And I'm pretty sure this isn't just my own Bisexuality clouding my judgment.

Sexuality is a very complicated matter and I think we've all far oversimplified it. When it would possibly be seen like a very big map with a few points either plotted for a person or not. And not only that, but there are a few thousand points that can fluctuate.

I think the real future wave as we understand more about sexual nature of the brain, is that culture complicates sexuality thousands upon thousands of times creating all sorts of sexual pockets, and that people tend to be Polysexuals for several Polygenders somewhere on the scale. And when this curtain of culture is all taken away and all of you have is base male and female, it's pretty close along to the center for almost everyone.
  5. Comrade Gwydion
    Comrade Gwydion
    Sexuality is a very complicated matter and I think we've all far oversimplified it. When it would possibly be seen like a very big map with a few points either plotted for a person or not. And not only that, but there are a few thousand points that can fluctuate.

That what I mean... I think :S

It's just, we don't have words for people who fancy redheads and we don't have words for people who like blondes. Why? Because we believe there is really no fundamental difference. With being attracted to males or females somehow people seem to think different: there are very narowly defined labels for males who fancy males, etc.
    I find such labels so.. static, and over-simplified.
  6. ÑóẊîöʼn
    ÑóẊîöʼn
    That what I mean... I think :S

It's just, we don't have words for people who fancy redheads and we don't have words for people who like blondes. Why? Because we believe there is really no fundamental difference.
    Or maybe the difference is just not considered important enough to attach a label to it.

With being attracted to males or females somehow people seem to think different: there are very narowly defined labels for males who fancy males, etc.
    I find such labels so.. static, and over-simplified.
    Really? I find the opposite to be the case. I am bisexual. I am sexually attracted to both men and women, therefore the shoe fits and I am proud to wear it.

True, "bisexual" in itself does not encapsulate the full subtleties of my attractions, but it gets the gist across, and if I wish to elaborate then I have language for that, too. After announcing my sexuality I can add details if I feel it appropriate.

Remember that language is our servant, not our master.
  7. Ztrain
    Ztrain
    well one can notice in ancient greek society that people were very bisexual...generally sex with a man wasnt seen as the fundamental opposite of sex with a woman and sexual relationships between older men and boys were celebrated...so in other words in a healthy society yes it is very true that we are all bisexual