What shall be the first book ?

1. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    Nominations ?
  2. cb9's_unity
    cb9's_unity
    I guess this may be the too obvious or low level beginner book but the Communist Manifesto should probably get at least some consideration. If it has already got a very good study on it I would love the link however I still have questions about the book.

Besides learning some basic communist ideas we could take this opportunity to analyze the changes in communism since. Here are a few points that could be discussed around the book.

1) It is well known that Marx changed some of his opinions after he wrote the pamphlet. I believe it was Engles who said they would have revised it if it had not already become an important historical document. However what were those changes Marx made and why did he change them? What could further be change to make the Manifesto more up to date?

2) How did later communist movements move away from the manifesto. Why were these changes made?

3) How correct was Marx's view of history? What examples can we find to support Marx's view.

4) And of course what does the Manifesto mean for today. What lessons can we take from it and how would Marx view communist movements today.

I think to do this we would need a good amount of younger members as well as more experienced members who would be willing to put the book in the context of the time.

I would also like to add that since this is a new group that would like to continue and analyze many books the relative shortness of the Manifesto will allow us to quickly revise our process of studying books if any problems are found. This is preferable to starting on a longer book or pamphlet and realizing major problems half way through.

Of course if we want something more modern or less basic that is completely understandable
  3. Q
    Q
    Hal Draper: Towards a new beginning. Although it actually is more of a read for those that already have had some experience with the movement.
  4. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    I suggest we start out easy and short . To give people a feel for it and to sprout up a basic and broad discussion on communism .

The principles of communism by Frederick Engels .
    http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx...1/prin-com.htm

It is simplistic but it should be good in setting the base of the theoretical level of the group .

Or this : http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx...bour/index.htm Wage Labour and capital.
  5. cb9's_unity
    cb9's_unity
    The principles of communism by Engels looks pretty good and simply put. A good basis for the real beginners and a good way to fill in the theoretical holes of people like me who are beyond the beginner level but no where near being an expert.

And this could just be me but I've always found Engels to be pretty accessible.
  6. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    Same. I'll wait for another 2 or 3 nominations to start a poll . That ok with people ?
  7. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    Bump come on people , ill start the poll in a few hours as i will be away for 2 days .
    Also how do you add a poll :S
  8. Absolut
    Absolut
    Bukharin, ABC of Communism?

Dont know if its availible online (dont have time to check it out now either, at work), but Ive heard its a good book.
  9. Montes
    Montes
    I've been reading Manifesto, which is a compilation of 3 essays (Marx, Luxemburg, Guevara) as opposed to a book but I still think it may be good for learning. Just my two cents.
  10. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    Ok guys , nominations are listed . However it seems you can't start a poll so I reackon we should start with wage labour and capital . Is that ok with everyone ? and then work through the other nominations after ?
  11. cb9's_unity
    cb9's_unity
    The Engels link you showed seemed like it was a bit of an easier read but either one is ok.
  12. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    It is indeed . I don't mind . whatever people think .
  13. Absolut
    Absolut
    Id like to start with Wage Labour and Capital, but Id be fine with the other alternative as well.
  14. Killfacer
    Killfacer
    wage labour and capital. May aswell go for something instead of fucking around.
  15. cb9's_unity
    cb9's_unity
    ^^^
    This. We should just agree quickly and then PM people the plans.
  16. OneNamedNameLess
    Hi guys. Cheers for letting me in btw. This is a great group so congrats to Coggeh and everyone else involved.
  17. Nofuture
    Nofuture
    Yeah I think Wage Labor and Capital would be Great because I have never actually read it. Available online somewhere? I was going to suggest Revolution of Everyday life because I think you can get it without having to read Marx first, but really when I think about it I don't think it's as clear as I remember it being.
  18. Coggeh
    Coggeh
    http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx...bour/index.htm

Its here.

I think this would be an excellent one to read ill start a thread there and try and inform others of the discussion, if others could do the same that'd be great.
  19. No_Leaders
    No_Leaders
    Agreed! Wage Labour an Capital would be a great first read.